Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Remote Central Locking

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
Hey all;

I recently bought a VR as my first car, andit seems to be in good shape. However, ever since I bought it, and according to teh guy I bought it off, the remote central locking has been playing up.

If i approach my car and press the button on the key, the doors unlock (as htey should) but they then immediatley lock again. This also happens if I try to lock/unlock the car using the key in the passenger side keyhole. The only way to get in is to unlock the car from the drivers side.

Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions/ideas? Do i need to hand holden the car, or can my mech fix it for me?

Also, the lock on the drivers is getting fairly stiff...Its starting to require a fair ammount of force to turn the key in the lock. Because hte key is about 3mm thick im not that worried about it snapping in the lock, but the chance is still there.

Does anybody have any ideas how about how to loosen up the lock without pulling it apart? Or am i going to have to get the locks serived?

Thx all, much appreciated.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
new battery maybe ???

WD40 otherwise new locks ???

Not positive though

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
my guess would be you have a buggered actuator.

If you have the time remove the door trim and disconnect the actuator. try to lock and unlock and see if the problem persists. Do this with all the doors to find which one is broken.

easy to replace, i think its about $25 for one unit.

Or you can sit in the car and lock with the remote and push down one of the locks when you do so. repeat for every lock. the one you do it with and it works is the broken one...

i hope this helps

let me know if you need it expained better.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
new battery ???

WD40??? or buy new locks not that exspensive

not positive though

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
nah what you want for locks is graphite powder, makes metal to metal contact nice and slippery

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
Graphite powder eh? Ill get me some of that... Ill assume i can get it at hardware stores/locksmiths?

Snotty said:
my guess would be you have a buggered actuator.

If you have the time remove the door trim and disconnect the actuator. try to lock and unlock and see if the problem persists. Do this with all the doors to find which one is broken.

easy to replace, i think its about $25 for one unit.

Or you can sit in the car and lock with the remote and push down one of the locks when you do so. repeat for every lock. the one you do it with and it works is the broken one...

i hope this helps

let me know if you need it expained better.

I cant lock with the remote...the locks immediatly unlock again...unless you mean hold one of hte locks down after i press the remote button. Could you please explain that a little better?

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
somehow i posted twice sorry ^^^^^