Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a VY interior light in a VR

MrTinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I was able to get around to putting in my new VY interior light. First I got a new head lining done for me with the HRT emblem. That one I can’t tell you how much it cost as it was a present from my wonderful partner :) The guy who did it advertises on eBay, you might of seen his ad, it’s the one with the flames on the head lining for $220. He was able to borrow a VY light from his local wrecker so he could make the cut out.

Once that was installed and I got a day off where I was able to spend the day working out the wiring and how to make the light stay in place I was only able to come up with the following idea.

What I did was to get a pice of 1/4 inch square tube, marked out where the screws needed to go, drilled them out and it sat at just the right height :) you might have to work out something else for yours because it depends on where the hole is cut in the head lining as to how much height you need. I was not able to find a glue that will stick metal to metal real well so what I did was to stick the 1/4 inch tube to a piece of plastic and then glue the plastic to the roof. So mounting the light might be different for you but this is how I got mine to work. Any better ideas are always welcome :)

Now comes the wiring.

I got the harness from Holden, it cost me nearly $40 but well worth it so you can have the right plug. All I did was get the main plug and cut it from the rest of the harness, about 30cm’s up the wires to give myself enough wire to play with. Part number for the harness is 92109899.

Now the tricky part, working out which wire does what. I’m not a pro for car wiring so this was the best I can get it to work. The lights come on when you open the door and when you use the switch to turn on the light manually but I can’t get the map lights to work :-( so if anyone knows how to get them to work it would be great.

Black - Positive
Red/Black - Positive
Red and Green are joined together.
Blue - Earth (switched via door)
White - Full time earth

If anyone has any better ideas or knows how to wire the light up so you can get the map lights working it would be really really great :)

Hope this all helps, It works in my car but you may have to change things in yours to make all working and looking good.

Happy modifying

Rob.

Attachments

• 100_0355a.jpg
    100_0355a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 100_0356a.jpg
    100_0356a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,207
Last edited:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
nice... but the pic's back to front. thought the roof lining was sagging at first.....
as for wiring, you should be able to run a full time live up through the A pillar, and use the current earth

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
how much the light cost and is that a sunies thing in the front of it?

MrTinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
The light I got off eBay for $42, it came from a Calais that had a sun roof installed so was just about brand new.

As for running a power lead up the A piller, well there is already full time power for the lights in the VR/VS because they are negative switching where the VY's are positive switching. Thats why I'm having a problem getting the map lights to work.

MrTinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Here is a pic of it with the sunnies part open.

Attachments

• 100_0381.jpg
    100_0381.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 477

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
MrTinky said:
As for running a power lead up the A piller, well there is already full time power for the lights in the VR/VS because they are negative switching where the VY's are positive switching. Thats why I'm having a problem getting the map lights to work.

it's a light. doesn't matter which wire's switched, it'll still work.
there should just be some short flyleads coming out of the unit yeah? and the flylead joins the switch to the light fitting?
should be as simple as running full time earth (non-switched) as a secondary circuit to the door light, using a common live (or vice-versa)

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Can you remember the other dimensions of the square tubing?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
EDIT: holy crap, didnt realise this was a 4 year old dig!!

what i did was get a piece of flat sheet metal and used 2 screw holes on the support beam next to the windsreen (for roof mounted rear view mirror)and bent it to follow the curve of the roof then marked and drilled a hole in the sheet metal to screw onto.

wiring is:
green is positive the black and white earthed and the blue earthed through the door switch, and the red and red/black conencted to each other and the red black rerun to make the conenction that seems broken at present
for the Map lights, power in via green directly to both lights. If map switch closed on either, it finds an earth via black
for the Interior lights, power in via green directly to both, out via red/black, into red and into switch. Switch either provides no earth, earth via white or earth via blue which is switched at door.

Attachments

• vs%20039_small.jpg
    vs%20039_small.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Haha yeah I digged this **** up big time :| my bad lol, what would I need to do to just have the map lights simply turn on when the buttons are pressed on them? not to worried about the door switch etc..

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
follow the wiring i suggested and you should be fine, mine works perfectly.

just as a precaution, i did come across a light switch that didnt have buttons for the map lights, obvious but always good to check