Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few Probs during manual Conversion VR

jimiemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR's
Ok well im most way through my conversion AND Ive been able to sorce a new computer through Bursons, BUT its a different Plug, its the old style like the VN's and VP's used.
and also i cant find where my gearbox goes in to the wiring loom, ive got the wiring for the box but its supposed to plug in to the int wiring some where yet i cant find it..

So are they trying to give me the wrong computer or do i gotta change the wiring for it ???

apart from that all is going good

J

jc58nc

A Vr v6 manual computer should look like a Vn Vp 1227808 ECU. Have you changed the engine wiring harness to the manual version? This would fix the ECU plug problem as the manual & auto ECU's plugs are keyed different, it would also have the connectors for the manual box eg. speedo sender & reverse switch. If you are using the auto engine harness you will have trouble with the speedo sender as they work differently.

jimiemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR's
Bugger so i really need a Manual wiring harness....
I was concidering getting my auto computer reprogrammed and then getting my auto elec to wire in the speedo and reverse lights ( to where ever they need to go ) would this work ???

J

jc58nc

Reverse lights, yes they could be wired, but the auto speed sensor setup is a 2 wire going straight to the ECU, a manual speed sensor is a 1 wire and earth setup and not compatible with the auto 2 wire. Dr Bob can do the auto memcal to suit a manual box using your auto ECU and harness but I don't know of a simple solution for the speedo problem without changing to a manual harness.

jimiemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR's
I herd the VP manual wiring loom for it will be the same. is this true ???
and who is DR BOB ????

J

jc58nc

I can't say about the Vp wiring harness, I doubt it though, as the Vr has a BCM and a Vp doesn't. Doctor Bob is the Commodore memcal expert on here (JC) and Street Commodores. On eBay & www.memcals.com

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
i have done the same thing to my vr. i am still using the auto harness and had the memcal reprogrammed and updated, the only problem that i have is the speedo not working as the sender on the box is a 3 wire. i spoke to gardner conversions on friday and he told me how to wire it up using the auto harness, this is how it needs to be wired up from the sender on the box, White/blue.......... Earth
Pink/blue.............12 volt accessories
Purple/white....... this wire needs to go to a white plug behind the glovebox there you will find another purple/white wire. this needs to be cut and connected to the end that goes to the speedo and he told me the speedo will work and not need to be calibrated again. i gotta pull my box out this weekend and rebuild it ( lost 5th gear) then i will be doing this in the next week or so, i will let you know how it goes or if you are gunna do it before me let me know how ya go.

jimiemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR's
Ive email bob about the computer i think i will stick to the auto harness as i got all my gas stuff coming off it and i dont wanna be trying to put all that in to a new one.

and also mal62 thanks man thats gonna save alot of effort, Ill try and find this wire so i can hook it all up. and ill also try and figure out the reverse lights.

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
i did it to mine you have to short 2 wires out and extend the other 2 wire down to the gearbox to hook up to the reversing switch. i got that from v6 conversions ( gardners)as well. you do this to the plug where the auto gearshift is

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok i just had a look at the wiring for the reversing lights. the 4 pin plug that used to hook up the the auto tower ( nuetralising switch) this is the wiring for it. the grey & the blue/grey wires need to be shorted out together this disengages the neutral switch for the auto. the other 2 wires pink/blue and the green entend these down to the gearbox and hook these us to the reversing switch and your lights should work