Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering VS Calais - IRS

B3NKobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Hey All...

Im thinking about getting my VS Calais lowered at the end of june, so im hunting around now for information. The car has IRS and I know I need a camber kit for it.

I want to get it lowered pretty low, maybe lowest legal, my dad is a cop so I cant have it any lower because he will crack the shits at me. But lowest legal would be great.

Anyone have an estimate price? or has anyone had a VS IRS lowered with a camber kit installed? Any information would be great, also some reconmendations for where to get it done at, around Melbourne?

Cheers Ben! :wave:

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i got my calais lowered with pedders sports ryders (put in by me and my mech) for $330 2in rear and 1.5in front, i had to put a camber kit in which cost 165 just for kit as my dad installed for me, pedders wanted 400for kit installed. I should have gone down another 1/2 - 1inch in the rear tho, but im still happy with my ride height. Make sure after u put camber kit in u get a full 4 wheel alignment done so everything straight

B3NKobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Jamie_87 said:
i got my calais lowered with pedders sports ryders (put in by me and my mech) for $330 2in rear and 1.5in front, i had to put a camber kit in which cost 165 just for kit as my dad installed for me, pedders wanted 400for kit installed. I should have gone down another 1/2 - 1inch in the rear tho, but im still happy with my ride height. Make sure after u put camber kit in u get a full 4 wheel alignment done so everything straight

Thanks mate, is it possible to get the camber kit installed a few weeks after it has been lowered?

This is my car stock at the moment (Below), it sits pretty high, Would superlow kingsprings be too low in it? Superlow for back and what about front?

lowered8qd.jpg

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
mine was same height as urs except mine looked like a 4wd with the 18's on,lol.Yeh i didnt get my camber kit installed till about a month after i lowered it. I rekon u should go 1.5inch lower in front and 2.5 inch lower in back, it would look realy good, i went 2inch lower in back.

u gotta remember also that after u get it done u need to drive it for about a week or so for the springs to settle before u get the true ride height, i was a lil pissd off when we took my car off the hoist, cos it still looked high in the back, so my mech told me to take for a drive and come back, and it had looked alot better , the rear guard sits about half inch above tyres in park or nutral and level with the tyres in drive now. Good luck with it!

B3NKobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Yeah ill get the camber installed a month or so after, thanks for the height reconmendations,

What about shockers, what did you get?

haha iv heard a few stories of people pissed when they get their car back from being lowered and its not what the expect until a week or so of driving.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
im still running standard calais shocks(why i still get a nice comfy ride),as they were still in good nik when i lowered the car, i might have to change them soon as then getting worn, dnt know what ill get , maybe sports ryder shortened shocks or somthing.
You can still run standard shock until u lower below a certain height(ask susp ppl), then u have to change to shortened ones so u dnt hit bumpstops and so the shortend springs dont fall out of place when u raise the car up, like going up a gutter or on hoist/jack. Also check after u lower it how the tailshaft lines up with diff etc as when u go below a certain height u have to get that re-aligned otherwise u may be after a new tailshaft/diff cos its not lined up properly, so ive read in this forum. Anyone correct me if i wrong about that last part.