Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Gearbox sometimes only allows take off in second gear.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Hi,
My Dad has a VR Ute with an auto gearbox, and sometimes usually after a good drive when everything is warmed up good, when he takes off, the ute feels like it is taking off in second gear. Once the ute is rested for a while, it becomes good. Sometimes it won't do it, it works okay. A transmission place here in town put their diagnostic machine on the ute to check the solenoids, etc, all come up clean. Plus I performed a diagnostic check myself and couldn't find any faults with the electronic side of the gearbox.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or has someone had this fault before?

Thanks,

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
yes have the same problem with my car, posted a few times about it on this forum and nobody seems to know what it is.
Maybe worn clutches or something?
I find after a service of the auto its a bit better but gets worse over time.
Only does it if i flog it and it gets warm.
Another thing is usually after about 10 min of driving and i try to select 1st gear with the selector it wont go, but if its in drive it will drop back to first. But then after a while of driving i pull up to a give way then go to take off in drive it will be stuck in about 3rd or 4th, so i have to use the selector to go to 2nd and it wont go back to 1st.
Does this happen to you also? seems like a very similar problem.

MBS206

Reaction score
Is it actually taking off in second gear or it just "feels" like it due to a slow takeoff?

Sounds like the actual physical side of the box is dead.

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine is actually in the higher gear because if i leave it in gear it barely goes anywhere then slowly winds out without any gear changes,

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I am pretty sure with my Dad's ute, you can pull the shifter back and it kicks back to first gear, I will have to ask him and find out.

Thanks,

J

Joes_meat

It might be limp home mode. You might be overheating the transmission.

Could either be a faulty temp sensor, or faulty trans cooling system.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I wasn't aware of a temp sensor on the gearbox, where abouts is it located? But I will check the trans cooling system.
Thanks,

MBS206

Reaction score
There is a temp sensor, I couldn't actually tell you a definite position to look though... LOL...

The one where its sitting in 2nd, then pull lever back, sounds like a bit of a solenoid playing up, but normally the ECU picks this up and locks 1st out completely.

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
i think maybe my temp sensor is stuffed because my car never heats up more than the first line after the c, is that normal? mechanic told me it should heat up more after he took it for a drive and said the temp sensors probly stuffed.
So maybe its the transmission cooling system or solenoid which is gone in my box?

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
ohh also if it was going into lhm wouldnt this trigger the engine light to come on?