Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Service Suggestions

B3NKobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Want to service the car my self on my 2 weeks off, anything else I can do that I have left out? Whats a reconmended oil for a VS Calais?

- Oil Service (Filter, Oil, Sump Plug)
- Spark Plugs
- Fuel Filter
- Ignition leads

(Dont need airfilter as have K&N)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Use Penrite HPR15

15-40, the semi synthetic one.. It'll go 10,000km easy, whereas the mineral ones will break down after about 5000km..

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Carby clean the throttle body and clean IAC valve. Easy stuff to do while you wait for your filter to be dry.
Check all fluids.
maybe clean out the overflow bottle?
Check tyres for pressure and if any objects stuck in tyre.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
If it has not been serviced in a while change the spark plug leeds, same with auto fluid, often the trans and diff are neglected.
Dont forget the battery and washer bottle,
flush radiator and replace thermostate if it hasnt been done.

This all depends on how often it has been replaced.

you got 2 weeks off, do the lot and you know it has all been done and on the next service just change oil and filter,

Do not put any additives to the fuel, they could cause you more probs with fuel pumps, injectors etc,
Fuel injector cleaners are a waste of money and dont do anything, the only way to clean injectors is to remove and get them cleaned and flow tested, they will usually put new caps (for clean spray pattern) and seals, and also drip test them, You should do these at about 100,000km's,

Dont clean throttle body while you wait for oil to drain as you need the car running to do this.(no oil = seized engine)
A better way of doing this is by removing the plenum chamber and cleaning of carbon deposits with carby clean, spraying it in there wont do much.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if you want good oil use royal purple, thats the sh*t.
costs friggen heaps but its worth it, alot of independent tests have shown that it is far superior than most other engine oils.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
always depends on how you look after the car. but check your handbook to see what service is due then keep following the handbook.dont forget coolant needs changing,autos need servicing, diff levels ,check all underneath(rubbers etc),tires (maybe rotate),check brake pad thicknesses, wheel bearings, probably heaps more . I check my car out pretty thouroughly every service(5000km)and would jump in it and drive around australia tommorow if needed.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
sircruisealotVS said:
if you want good oil use royal purple, thats the sh*t.
costs friggen heaps but its worth it, alot of independent tests have shown that it is far superior than most other engine oils.

What is so superior about this oil apart from the price, its going into a stocky engine, any $20-$30 oil will do the same job if replaced on a regular basis.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
in the tests they did, their car gained about 10rwkw just from changing to the new oil and coolant

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
hey B3NKobe on weekend i did a service on my VS calais, and put in the nulon brand oil, 10-40 full sythetic and it loves it, onli cost 44.95 for 5L, u'll notice a difference in response and how quick the engine warms up. I was gonna use castrol edge but a few ppl i no on drag scene recommended this for me.If u want to read more about it go to ttp://www.nulon.com.au .Castrol edge is also good IMO but is about 70buks for 5L. My dad is running the same nulon oil in his 80series Landcruiser and even after 13000km its still onli a light brown colour compared to the dark brown/black from normal oil.

if your gonna go full synthetic, make sure u flush out all old oil(use engien flush or 500ml of diesel) and then put in the sythetic or u wont get the full benefits from it until after a few more services.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ssute57l said:
What is so superior about this oil apart from the price, its going into a stocky engine, any $20-$30 oil will do the same job if replaced on a regular basis.

lol, do the same job hey....you should see some of the bearings taken out of an engine thats been using crap $20 a bottle oil....it just doesnt lubricate the same.
if you want an engine to be smooth and last, you need to use quality products...saving a couple of bucks in the short term is goin to bite you in the ass when the crankshaft bearing (example) gets chewed up and spat out.