Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS Switch??

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hey, my VS has allways displayed the orange light "ABS DISABLED" on the dash. i was wonderin if i ever wanted to turn it back on how would i go about it?? is there a switchor something??
cheers, jesse.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
check the fuses? also might pay to have a small check of the abs unit under the bonnet, else might be a auto electricion job.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
but should u b able to turn it on and of??

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
If the 'ABS OFF' light is illuminated on the dashboard, it means there is a problem within the ABS system, that could be the modulator itself, the ABS computer, or any one of the sensors, located on both front wheels, and on the diff for IRS cars, such as the Acclaim. The light should never be illuminated except for start up, when a self check is performed on the system. From memory, Holden can use the Tech II system to find out exactly what the problem is, so it might be an idea to go and get it checked out...

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
isnt it better for doin burnouts n stuff with it of though?

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
isnt it better for doin burnouts n stuff with it of though?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
no, it wont help your rears to spin, if anything, it will hold back fluid from the front wheels as they are 'locked' and put more pressure on the rears

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If it is genuine fault, I would guess at it being one of the sensors/wires, which is a common fault. A diagnostic check can be performed using Tech1 at a dealer but it may also be possible to bridge two terminals as per a PCM fault (different wires). Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with VS to be sure, so you'll have to do some research.

Disconnecting power to the ABS computer will clear the codes and reset the light (to off).

Burnouts will confuse the ABS computer into setting fault codes and disabling the ABS because it 'sees' two(?) wheels as turning and the others stopped/locked. This may be the problem.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
It wont help with burnouts but will help you smash your car in one of those close calls where abs will probaby save you. I have talked to many people who swear abs was the crutial thing that saved their car. If insurance company found out you had abs problem they would probably leave you dry. Check fuses and relays first, otherwise definatly go get it fixed. There is no switch.