Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr auto playing up

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok guys, im posting this for dad, his vr v6 auto is playing up on him. this is what it does:

on initial start, it revs high, and clunks into gear on take off, 1st and reverse.

motor needs higher revs before auto changes gears.

this doesnt happen all the time, only sometimes and if he turns the car off, lock and unlock it, it will start and run fine again.

he recently put a old cb radio in, and was wondering if maybe it could be causing interference to the auto ecu? or maybe the tps switch.

any ideas?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
have you checked for any error codes? if its tps it may show up as that? worth a try

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
will get him to do that, its a start.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
"clunking" into gear is always a bad sign, might not be related to the other problems, i dunno....but it's usually a problem with the diff or uni joints.
i say it might not be related because i cant see how something amiss with the diff would affect shift points...and then you say it only happens sometimes.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh, i should also mention, hes in swan hill at the moment, and it doesnt happen down in newborough, it happened last time he was in swan hill too. but both times in swan hill, cb radio was in, down hee he had it out. thats why we're thinking interference.

2 SL/ES

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT berlina
Mine was also doing this turned out to be the throttle position sensor its on the bottom of the throttle body easy fix.