Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Iridium Sparks and Performance chips

M

mrk11d

Hey peoples!

Just wondering if you guys had any feedback on iridium spark plugs in V6 VR (95) Commodore. My mate put some in and said he felt a noticable change. Apparently NGK is one of the few who make the iridium verions. Also was thinking about a performance upgrade memcal chip. Just wondering if u all thought it was a waste of money and if it actually effected performance/economy.

Gareth

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
most spark plugs with feel better when replaced because the ones they are replacing would be usually worse for wear...that said, NGK are a good brand and i have heard good things about their iridium plugs. some good coil packs (like msd ones) would really help in that area too.
as for a chip, i think they are a great mod...cheaper than most mods and they deliver solid gains...well worth it, have a chat to dr bob on this forum if your are interested in a chip

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I agree with sircruisealotVS on the spark plug leads. Its probably a slightly better feel because they are new plugs and you have the placebo effect. As in, you paid money and expect better performance, and you think you notice something, even though the actual result is so minimal. You would never be able to pick the difference if you sat in two cars with different spark plug leads. I get skeptical when manufactures use those element names (platnium/iridium etc). Iridium is actually a very hard and brittle material. So its going to be mixed in an alloy anyway.

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
I think Iridium/Platinum sparkplugs are a waste of money. Well sure they will last you a bit longer, and if people want that then thats fine. However, on the performace side of things, a spark is a spark, all the sparkplug does is ignite the vapours, so really performace will be no different. Its like the Bosch super 4's. They will last longer since they have 4 spark gaps, but performace wise they wont do squat.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I have NGK Iridiums in my VR V6 and didn't notice any real difference from the standard NGK plugs, that were in it. They are suppose to last for 100k km, so if you change your spark plugs often enough it will add up about the same in the long run.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
The only real benifit from the iridium tipped plugs is durability. They last longer thats why they can justify the $15ea price tag.

Maybe ya mate was on a downhill slope with a good tail wind with some nice crisp air. Thats probably why it felt quicker.......