Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Brakes

me_011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Hi i was just wondering if any one knows how to change the front brake pads. I have never done this before so im not sure how to do it.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
jack the car up, take the wheel off, undo caliper retaining bolts, remove caliper, take old pads out, use caliper opener to push the caliper piston back in, put back together.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Can the piston be pushed back in by hand? Or do you need a g-clamp?

And when you remove the caliper will it just open up? And what is holding the pads in place?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
the pads come out pretty easily. Its been a while since i did mine so i cant remember the specifics but i think they just slip out. There may be 2 little slide pieces that sit on top of them.
Dont know if you will be able to push the piston back in by hand. I bought a caliper opener years ago and i just use it every time i do brakes. I have changed over 100 sets of front pads and it is still as good as the day i bought it. I think its a good investment cause it cost $30 at the time so that works out to be 20c every time its been used.
And thanks for the thanks Shounak

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Thanks for the thanks for thanks maginoodle..

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Great advice on the calipre expander but a g-clamp if used slow is just as good.
Consider taking off the entire calipre and replace the rubbers with a kit.
You need only the same spanners as for changing the pads, if I remember correct a 14 and 17 mm, spreader or g clamp, wire bruch to clean the slides a tub of white spirit to clean everything, a little grease for the slides and a little time.
Not just new pads, new brakes.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Tip, a simple 6" woodworking clamp will fit in between the old pads where a G clamp will not, besides if your changing to new pads it don't matter what you use to pry the pistons back, damaging the old pad surface don't matter.

Unfortunately the pistons will have to be pushed all the way back in order to allow fitting of new pads.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
something else
be careful that your resorvoir is not too full or it can pop the top and make a mess.
Brake fluid and paint makes paint stripper