Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Manual Conversion - How to Get you speedo working again using the auto harness

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
Hi Guys & Girls
Finally i've got my speedo working again after doing a manual conversion on my VR V6 wagon using the auto harness instead of changing the whole harness and computer, heres what you do. Have your chip in your auto computer reprogrammed to a manual ( they should turn off all the auto controls etc) next to get your speedo working again it is all very simple, there are 3 wires coming out of the speedo drive sensor on the gearbox, these are the ones that you need to wire up, the 3 wires are pink/blue, white/blue and lastly purple/white. The pink/blue gets hooked up to 12 volt accessories power, the white/blue goes to earth and lastly the purple/white, this goes upto behind your glovebox, on top of the kick panel there is a white connector with a purple/white wire that goes up and into your dashboard, cut this wiring and join it up to the purple/white from the sensor and away you go, speedo works again and does not need to be calibrated
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
heyyy should i get speedo cable ??? cos i dun have one ... cos i justy bought whole gearbox conversion .. so tell me to do thanks ... but im not ready to put gearbox in my Vr .. cos i need a car to drive so yea ... thanks

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
hey yea i mean .. which connect to gearbox to speedo .. ... im just confused as i dun have one ...

kidmavric

OVRKILL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR dumped on 20's
pritty sur there are a few pinions that need to be changed in to computer behind the kich panel for trhe speedo to work

vp s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
hay mate just wondering i put a5speed conversion in my vr also and did you change much of the wireing harnis in your,s when you put it in because i cant get mine going yet ive put the manual computer in and all that jazz and still cant get it going and just wonted 2 no if you could help me a bit thank,s mate

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Cheeerrs

man i just spent half a day messin with this exact problem, and without a decent wiring diagram was like pushin **** up a hill trynna make a 3 pin sender ( t5) work on the 2 pin loom (vr auto). Thanks ill try it your way my next day off. cheers for sharing!!.:thumbsup:

:p

bogged

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i am in the middle of doing my auto to manual conversion in a vr v6 wagon...

i got a manual ecu and engine wiring harness and swapped them over but i had to re-trace the coolant temp sensor wire as it was from a vn which is on the rear of the engine... i then fiddled with the wiring inside the car and wired up the speedo sensor etc as described above and i then tried to turn the car on but no avail. all accessories etc came on but no go on the engine till i discovered the wires that plugged into the auto gear selector determine wether the car is in drive or neutral/park etc and by joining 2 of the wires (cant remember which ones but ill find out tonight when i get home) it makes the ecu think its in park and tadaaaa the car starts.

when im all done ill put up more info as theres always some info missing on conversion tutorials.

customvlcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VL commodore(sold regretfully) + VR project
hii im new to this forum i justt did my conversation in my vr the speedo was working after following the guide but the other day it just stopped i check the wires theres power in all but the one under the dash no fuses are blown i changed the speedo sender as well didnt fix the problem any info would be great thanks guys :)