Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec tune and dyno?

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Having trouble finding someone to tune my ecotec properly they all want to install an aftermarket ECU. but i just want a tune anyone in sydney know someone good maybe with a dyno?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i got told not to bother with it. he said for the dollars, a tune isn't really worth the gains.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
should post something in the bluechip tuning section man...they'll know what can be done.
i thought the delco was pretty decent though, as long as your not running heaps of boost or anything.

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I rang a dynotune place near my work they look pretty good they do lots of hot rods and high performance cars.

He told me you cannot tune the ECU in a Ecotec they only thing he can do for me is a power run on the dyno and a dyno service to check things like the sparkies etc.
Is this true, Or does he not know what he is talking about?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
defyet said:
I rang a dynotune place near my work they look pretty good they do lots of hot rods and high performance cars.

He told me you cannot tune the ECU in a Ecotec they only thing he can do for me is a power run on the dyno and a dyno service to check things like the sparkies etc.

i thought they would be tuned via a piggy back chip. I haven't heard of the computer itself being edited like the ls1 can be.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
defyet said:

That is about the extent of it.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Uh?? why have i been told otherwise?? or is the NA ecotec ECU different from the L67 ECU ?? now confused now head hurts...lol

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
The memcals can be tuned to suit the application.
We even have a resident that does 'em: Doctor Bob

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
VS ECU's can be reprogrammed. Usually involves temporarily swapping yours for a "live" ecu which can be tuned real-time by the Kalmaker software. The tune is then copied back to your ECU and it is swapped back in.

So yes, it can be done (and it will be a better tune), but most places will just tell you that you need an aftermarket ECU.

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
2_SeeK_U said:
The memcals can be tuned to suit the application.
We even have a resident that does 'em: Doctor Bob
so does bob tune the chips in the ecu or the actual ecu or are they the same thing ( just getting my head round this stuff)