Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car backfires and stuff at high revs

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey,

I just bought a VS V6, From what i know it only has full exhuast/extractors. Everyone loves the sound of it, it sounds beefy like an 8.
Anyways back to my question, When i boot it flat to the floor and it gets to about 3500-4000+rpm it starts to sound hollow and you can hear it backfire (not heaps load like an old shitbox but you can hear it backfire constantly) Is it running too rich or is it just cause of the exhaust system?
Also when its just idling and i give it a rev to about 3000rpm it will backfire a little when i let off. It doesnt sound like a bad backfire it kind of suits the tone of the exhuast LoL

If anyone has any ideas what would be causing it could you let me know.
Sorry if none of this make sence its just hard to explain.

Thanks
Scott

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
are you losing any power?? have u checked spark plugs, leads etc???

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Doesnt seem to be, It is very responsive when you first take off, It just seems to sound hollow and have like a constant backfire when i boot it and its above 4000RPM. If i drive normally it doesnt do it at all. Maybe i should change my driving style :p hehe

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
I agree with jamie check leads and plugs....and possibly coil packs

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
I have a mate who had the exact same problem with his vt calais...yet his was self inflicted! LOL i think it's just your exhaust, check to see that it actually has a muffler attached and not just one big open pipe leading straight through from the extractors back! My mate's is completely illegal, hollowed out cat, and no mufflers, simply just a pipe! If you rev it hard enough do you get flames out the rear end? I can recall a couple times, that happening with the mate's car...Stick your head near the exhaust, big blue flame shoots...Dangerous SHYTE lemme tell ya!!!

Cheers, Boojakz.

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks,

Nah i dont think it has a muff. Thats prob part of the reason..

Cheers,
Scott

F

flipsyde

HEELLP!!! ive got kinda tha same problem i have a manual vs v6 commdore after about 15 mins of driving around it starts to die.. as in u can hear it cough and choke from the exhaust. it gas a cat back exhaust and its kinda tha feeling like ur about to run outta fuel.. as if its not getting enough fuel it then looses power and stuggels to make 65kph in 2nd gear every gear is the same coughing and spitting and u have to keep the revs high to keep her going... Any ideas on what could be wrong?

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
boojak87 said:
I have a mate who had the exact same problem with his vt calais...yet his was self inflicted! LOL i think it's just your exhaust, check to see that it actually has a muffler attached and not just one big open pipe leading straight through from the extractors back! My mate's is completely illegal, hollowed out cat, and no mufflers, simply just a pipe! If you rev it hard enough do you get flames out the rear end? I can recall a couple times, that happening with the mate's car...Stick your head near the exhaust, big blue flame shoots...Dangerous SHYTE lemme tell ya!!!

Cheers, Boojakz.

Your mate would get a nice fine if he ever gets defect checked, I think having the Cat punched out on its own is up into the $1000's Would sound good though lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
flipsyde said:
HEELLP!!! ive got kinda tha same problem i have a manual vs v6 commdore after about 15 mins of driving around it starts to die.. as in u can hear it cough and choke from the exhaust. it gas a cat back exhaust and its kinda tha feeling like ur about to run outta fuel.. as if its not getting enough fuel it then looses power and stuggels to make 65kph in 2nd gear every gear is the same coughing and spitting and u have to keep the revs high to keep her going... Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Sounds like an almost blocked catalytic convertor restricting the exhaust gases. Also is your air-cleaner 'clean'.