Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Head Gasket Replacement

boogs86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK calais
Hey. I just founsd out that i need to replace the head gasket and timing chain in my VR. Kmart tyre and autos have quoted ~$2400. I was wondering if anyone had attempted this them selves or has come acoss a DIY guide anywhere. I already have a copy of a Gregory's manual. also does the engine need to be pulled out to do the timing chain or can i just take out the radiator and have enough room to work with?

Any help would be great thanks.

aokman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Super6
Well from the start lol, what is wrong with the car? timing chain rattle? coolant in your oil?

The timing cover can be taken off without taking the motor out but you need to remove the harmonic balancer and various other things. $2400 is alot lol.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Mate Kmart are the biggest shonks as far as mechanics.
My old mother in law swore by em, told me how nice they are until she took her 1996 Galant in for a pre holiday check and asked em to replace the blinker globe.
It comes back with a bill for $20 to change blinker globs, and the blown one was still blown.
En route to Queensland it cooked, the idiots let an apprentice do the work and he put Auto trannie fluid in insstead of oil.
1 litre off trannie fluid to 3.5 of Synthetic equals 1 fukt motor.
Its still before Fair Trading cause Kmart have offered to rebuild the motor but want it for 6 weeks.
They offered to buy the car for $500 as an alternative.