Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods to VS V6

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi,

I have a VS V6 Ecotec, Just wondering what i could do to it other then Roller Rockets, Exhaust, Extractors, Cold Air intake, Chip.
Im not really interested in a supercharger just wondering what other mods i could do?
Im having trouble finding performance parts for it. Next thing i can think of is a bigger throttle body or twin throttle body but i cant find a larder TB :(

Please dont tell me i cant do much more then that :p

Cheers,
Scott

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
u can do lots of things; camshafts, pistons,port n polish, conrods,stroker kit(up to 4.2L), intake plenum, turbo,make ur oil/water pumps electric instead of working off belt, high flowing intake/exhaust valves,u can change diff gear ratios for quick take off, get shift kit in auto trans or convert to manual, change torque convertor, stall convertor, lighten tailshaft, lsd diff,bigger injectors, hi flo fuel pump, NOS(hehe), theres prob more to add to list, but cant think of them now ...as long as u can spend the money u can get things done, even get stuff custom made. It all depends on how much u can spend and how far u want to go.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Shift Kit

Mate the best thing i ever did to my old vs v6 was fit a shift kit i havent seen another vs v6 chirp into second for a long time it was the cheapest and best thing i ever did, i done it on my own simply changed to a corvet piston and increased the line pressure via the force motor cost me $35 for the piston and 30 for oil and no ford el/ef xr6/xr8 ever came close to beating me especially on the shift into second i would just pull away, something to think about bro....

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
cheap...sounds interesting, but didnt it put alot of stress on the rest of ur drivline like diff etc??

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
Jamie_87 said:
cheap...sounds interesting, but didnt it put alot of stress on the rest of ur drivline like diff etc??

I wont fib to you but it did ovouisly put extra strain on the universals and the diff, i replaced the diff about a year after some very very very tough driving, at that stage i just got my lisence and friday, saturday nights did take its toll but whether the shift kit resulted in the distruction of my diff, well it would be minimal if you drove 'normaly':eek: . I have a Vs Stato now and i have done the same thing to it and after a year its still pulling fine and the diff isnt making any unusuall noise, It just makes the car fell alot more positive especially in the Stato which apprently unknown to me were made to shift alot smoother??? Also i port matched my manifold to the heads not to much required but made a noticeable difference. Some places i took of 3mm+ just to get them to sit perfectfly, however be vary carefull if you dont have the experiance as the injectors sit right near the end of the manifold and if you start buggering around you could actually lose power by stuffing the flow characteristics of the fuel/air mixture...just to give you an idea a Vl turbo gave me a run friday night i took of about 70percent throttle and then punched it, we were on par then the shift into second i pulled half a car lenght infront, which made him look nervious but with him running 20psi after his turbo spooled up he just took off not a bad effort with my stato its gotta go on a diet, mmmm maybe along with me,:eek: but yeah its a worthwhile mod to keep in mind...HTH

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Mate what shift kit did you use im very interested to do the same to my stato. How much was it?

Does it replace the centre console, do you have cut or perm remove anything?

Can you post a pic?

Cheers

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Jamie_87 said:
u can do lots of things; camshafts, pistons,port n polish, conrods,stroker kit(up to 4.2L), intake plenum, turbo,make ur oil/water pumps electric instead of working off belt, high flowing intake/exhaust valves,u can change diff gear ratios for quick take off, get shift kit in auto trans or convert to manual, change torque convertor, stall convertor, lighten tailshaft, lsd diff,bigger injectors, hi flo fuel pump, NOS(hehe), theres prob more to add to list, but cant think of them now ...as long as u can spend the money u can get things done, even get stuff custom made. It all depends on how much u can spend and how far u want to go.
a few of those sound like they're straight out of gran turismo....but most are spot on. as for cubes, you can go either way, more or less, destroking will allow the engine to develop more RPM without increasing your piston speed or stroking will do the opposite, but will theoretically develop more torque at lower RPM due to the longer stroke nature of the engine. i would look at a basic rebuild and maybe put some higher comp pistons in, some decent rings and gaskets, give the heads a good de-burring (the ecotec heads arent too bad std.) and basically take your time and some care with it. install a different cam too if you know you arent going forced induction this will help you select a cam to suit your NA application.....
best to take your time, do your homework on it and shop around, this will yield the best end result

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
VSRUMBLE said:
Mate what shift kit did you use im very interested to do the same to my stato. How much was it?

Does it replace the centre console, do you have cut or perm remove anything?

Can you post a pic?

Cheers

Mate its only work done internally on the geabox its not a fully manualised auto, i wasnt prepared to pay 300 dollors for a part that costs 30, even the guy at the tranny place wouldn sell it to me the prick..so i had to research and FluidDrive in Geelong sold it to me..All you gotta do is change your existing piston in your tranny with a corvette one, if you have a look at your tranny on the drivers side there is a round cap, with a circlip anyway the bugger is in there and you also need to turn a screw on the top of force motor 1/4 of a turn its a torx bit, the guy a fluidDrive told me thats a little excessive but to hell with it i turned that bloody screw lol the guy at another tranny place told me the excessive price was because they drill out certain oil gallaries etc, but to pay that much for a few holes....mines still kicken so yeah HTH

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
a proper shift kit would also include new software for the trans (shift points,etc.) so the kit would be more of a completely package than just raising the pressure with a corvette servo piston.