Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats The Legal Size Limit I Can Get In Rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bronco696

I own a holden commodore 97 and i got a hectic system and im only 18 and dont have much cash to do my car up fully, but i want big rims. and i need to know whats the biggest legal rims i can get. because i keep seening and hearing that everyone has 20s and 19s and thats what i want, but is dis LEGAL size , because i cant afford to get defects and cops hassling me. any help out there, or do u need a certificate for the rims,that are ova 18s

anyone there dat owns 20s and 19s can ya help me...pls

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Please keep it to one thread.

pandacav

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8 manual
u cant go more than 1.5in than stock.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
rules change depending on what state you're in. up here in qld, I can get 18's on my VR, as long as they're no wider than 7.5" any taller or wider requires and engineers report.
AFAIK You can have any size wheel you want no matter where you live, but excessive increases in hieght or width will need certification

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
mattman said:
Please keep it to one thread.

yeah, wtf...i hate double posts.

B

bronco696

srry for double post.. i jst thought i cud get more opionons

harvs01

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6, with 19' VY Maloo Mags
i was told by insurance that you can go up two sizes
if u have 16' you can go to 18' and so on

Jimboss

Reaction score
bronco696 said:
srry for double post.. i jst thought i cud get more opionons

Speaking proper english will also help you out, i mean it's not that hard to spell correctly is it?

And with rim size it is all dependent on what state you live in, so tell us, then we will be able to tell you the exact rule that applies to you.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
what da deal-eo' in WA? lol...sorry had to stir you with the pigeon english!

Jimboss

Reaction score
After doing a quick search, WA rules are as follows:

# Rim width must not exceed the maximum rim width specified by the manufacturer by more than 25mm (1") (for passenger vehicles manufactured after 1st January 1973, the manufacturers rim width shall be taken as that specified on the tyre placard).

In any event, rim width shall not exceed 177.8 mm (7") unless specified by the manufacturer as standard equipment for the vehicle in question. No increase in rim width is permitted for vehicles fitted with original equipment rims in excess of 177.8 mm (7") width.

# The wheel is contained completely within the body work of the vehicle which includes acceptable flares.

# The wheel does not foul any part of the body or suspension under all conditions of travel

# The vehicle handling is not impaired in any way.

# The tyre to rim fitment must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Association Manual.

# Rim diameters must be the same as specified by the manufacturer.

# The wheel must be one designed for use with the vehicle with respect to bolt pitch circle and wheel nut tapers

# The track must not be increased by more than 25mm (1") over the maximum specified by the manufacturer.etc.

# All wheels must be the same size, profile and bolt pattern.

# Vehicles required to comply with Australian Design Rule 24, "Tyre & Rim Selection" must continue to comply with this Design Rule (contact the Department of Transport and Regional Services for more details).

# The fitment of so called "plus one" and "plus two" and tyres is acceptable providing :

* the overall diameter of the large rims fitted with the lower profile tyres do not exceed the overall diameter

* all tyres and rims fitted to the vehicle are of the same size and profile

* with the exemption of item (f), the tyres and rims are in conformity with the requirements specified above in items (a) to (j).

# Reducing the wheel track less than the original manufacturers specification is not permitted, as this may reduce vehicle stability.

So basically, WA only lets 1" above the largest size on your tyre placard ... ouch, that has to hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.