Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr-vr info

3800_man

Id like to ask several thing,

1) is there much difference between a vr-vs

2) what is a vr-vs's strong points

3) what should i look for when examaning a vr-vs before i buy,

thanks guys

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well there's quite alot of differences...the biggest being the engine is completely different.vr's had the last of the buick engines used while the vs's had the new ecotec (smaller,lighter and more powerfull).
there's alot of other small changes..but i wont go into listing them all, things like two trans coolers, maf used etc...
visually the vr and vs are almost the same, except for small things like the badges, silver grill insert, slight tweak on the boot lip...
they both have they're strong points...but i beleive the vs having the ecotec is its main attraction.
most of the commodores of that era all have similar problems to look out for when lookin to buy...things like the power steering (leaks, creaking), water/rust in the boot and around the rear windscreen, problems with the central locking and immobiliser, if the car is fitted with rear power windows they most likely dont work from the front buttons, some have problems with the rear main engine seal and sump, poor trans condition..in particular the torque converter (if when held at 80 the whole car shudders and looses a bit of power the converter is gone)....
thats about it for really common stuff..there's always more to look at, just get it checked by a mechanic if in doubt.

3800_man

awsome thanks mate, 1 more thing seen u seem to be the man, how can i tell by looking at the motors the difference, because iv seen heaps of vs's with the same looking motors, dont they have the normal 3800 in red on them, or do they ahve a plastic engine cover?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the engine with 3800 in red running along the top is a buick motor (vn-vr), the engine with a grey cover is the ecotec...although some people have either painted the cover or taken it off.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Do a search. You should find alot of threads where we have gone into great deal of info on VR and VS.