Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr vs wagons

3800_man

what do u people think of vr-vs wagons, would they be worth doing up or not? any good or bad factors

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi, i have a mate with a vs wagon. It has a body kit on it. It looks pretty good for a wagon. Wagons arent my cup of tea but if thats what you want go for it. His needs the windows tinted and a set of mags.

Last edited:

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
as far as i was concerend they are only a tab slower than a sedan but hello bootspace :) great for spending a night out throw in a swag that sort of thing, i would imagine it'd be harder to setup a soundsystem due to the larger space to fill but on that note its openess allows for a practical setup.

engine mods will be the same as sedan and last time i checked there werent any IRS wagons in the VR-VS range so suspension etc is as sedan live axel,

personally i like the shape of a good wagon but as maginoodle said, some people love em some dont.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
As for slower I have to dispute that, engine is identical, only the rear shocks are different in mounts, the wagon is basically identical but for an extra 50 kgs in total.

Nothing wrong with a wagon far from it, tried sleeping in a sedan lately when your over 6', it's not real flash on the old bones, the wagon makes traveling a heap simpler and cheaper with a simple air bed in the back the tinted windows keep out prying eyes, never mind the extra gear you can shove in the back.

When buying mine I had the option of the silver early 96 sedan or the white late 95 wagon, same VS model essentially, and drove both of them extensively around town and at speed out bush, the wagon is 75% easier to see out of, especially when reversing, the sedan with such a high boot and parcel tray makes reversing and seeing what's close behind to you very difficult.

Now it may have been just bad setup I'll never know but the sedan was twitchy, the brakes were grabby, steering was overly direct and awkward to steer smoothly, the wagon was opposite in most every way.

My main +ve for the wagon was the increased rear / side visibility especially with a crook back, parking the wagon is much much simpler even if a tiny bit longer, that may make the steering smoother if the wheel base if indeed different, I have not bothered to check.

The 50 kgs are not worth worrying about, my mobile toolbox weighs heaps more than that anyway.

Drive both and see.

3800_man

ok so 1 last think, vr's had a buick motor, the same as vn's and vps, while the vs's had an ecotech, and u can tell the difference by a plastic cover on the echotechs like a vx or up right?? and also, the vr wagon im looking at, it has all legal tint (20% round the back and back seat windows, 35% on front seat windows and nothing on the front, near imposible to view in the back, we had to use a torch at 5 thisarvo lol) it does have 235000 kms but its clean with 2.5" zorst, not sure bout extractors, customs front and back lights, 2"x5" tip on zorst, no rims just hubby's and not lowered, with a sports steering wheel, and it doesnt look like its been flogged but can never tell. so yeah give us some feed back guys

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
sounds good mate, i got a vn wagon and love it, theres just something about them.

and yeh, not much slower than a sedan.

digisol, the wagon is about 2-3 inches longer wheelbase than a sedan, same as a statesman and ute actually.

and yeh, easiest way to tell buick from ecotec is the cover on vs ecotec, or a 3800 on buick

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
um i'm pretty sure that buick made the ecotec aswell, you can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_3800_engine the 3800 Series I is VR, and the 3800 Series II is Ecotec (L36) just to clear things up a bit lol. i don't mind the vr-vs wagons, but you need a dark colour. personally i'd go for the vt wagon style, because the clubsport kits on the wagons look a hell of a lot better, if you're gonna put a kit on it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yeh, the ecotec is still a buick motor, but the block and heads, etc are redesigned and not compatible with the vn-vr ones.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
yeop. sorry i just thought that you meant the vs sorta wasn't buick, only vr was. even though i have a vs, i like the vr engine better, it's got a really nice note for a 6, this combined with extractors and exhaust make it even better. apart from the power increase, the vs are much smoother and quieter.