Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI Live

vs ed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3V8ute
Anybody know anything about EFI Live?? Having troubles, purchased an aldl diagnostics link- can't get it to work.
My ute is a VS 3 V8, Feb '99 model. But on this website it says the VS went from '95-'98- I'm confused. Does the VS series 3 5ltr have the same engine as the series 1 VT V8? Im wondering this so I know what to punch into EFI Live and hopefully get it working. All help appreciated :)

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
efi live does work fine, well I am using it on my VN Series 1 90-91 model commodore and i love it. Best data logger out there. I am using version 4, the free evaluation version, but would love it if someone out there would be generous enough to share a licence key for the v4 pro.

Anyone who can, I am sure I could help them out with other softare as i have heaps because I am a computer techi by trade. Oh and all this sharing would obviously be for EDUCATION PURPOSES ONLY!!!

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Who did you get the cable off? Some have troubles with the V8's. The ute models trailed the sedans by a bit so I wouldn't worry too much about the years. just go with the gmh-vr68vs8.xml file.

Mike

vs ed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3V8ute
Thanks Mike.
I got the cable on ebay for $55. ALDL to rs232, I would recommend the usb one instead of the rs232 as it looks to be a better built unit, mine's a bit dodgy- hopefully thats not the reason I can't get comms up and running..:b:

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
vs ed said:
Thanks Mike.
I got the cable on ebay for $55. ALDL to rs232, I would recommend the usb one instead of the rs232 as it looks to be a better built unit, mine's a bit dodgy- hopefully thats not the reason I can't get comms up and running..:b:

Yea, so would I. But that could be because I make them....

There is a problem with some circuits that are published on the net in that they don't run with some of the V8's. After a few returns I redesigned my cable so it would work. Send me a screen shot of efilive and I'll see whats what.

Mike

Last edited:

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
Originally i got a cable off the internet and the winaldl software. But i thought it was very simple and ugly looking and wanted more information.

After a while the dodgy cable i bought stoped working because the cheap way they did it was to soldier the resistors straight on the wires and stuff so with a bit of movement and flex the soldeir would crack, eventually not working.

So I made my own cable and after a few different transistors, found the right one from dick smiths's and its all worked fine but this time i used a circuit board (small) and put all the resisitors and transistor there, so it would be protected, than i looked for better software and came accross efi live v4 which works great. It works on my v6 and it also has the

onsta004

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman Caprice 355ci
Can you change AIC and the rev limiter

vs ed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3V8ute
Mike,
Here is a screeny, hopefully it sheds some light :)
If all else fails, would you consider selling me one of your usb adapters?
Thanks again for yor help, Andrew.

Attachments

• efi.bmp
    384.1 KB · Views: 832

MBS206

Reaction score
How much are the ALDL cables to buy, either with USB or RS232 connector.

I tried making one before, Had to do it twice as first time was with wrong connector (My stupid fault when buying parts) the next time, I couldn't get any communication happening...

Unsure exactly on what pins to plug it into though on the VR V6 (I just have 3 wires, need to know what spots to plug into)

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I'd be happy to sell you one, but lets see if we can get your one going first as you have already spent the money...
Check the following (the photo's should make things clearer)
1) Are you sure that the adaptor is on com 1? It can be changed in the edit->properties.
2) Click the listen for chatter wedge with the cable disconnected from the car and see if you get the max232 detected.
3) Some cables (not mine) need to be powered from the serial port. You need to go into edit->properties->comms and select the hold dtr rst lines high.

Oh and one final point, is the car running at the time?

The link to mine is http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=13311

Mike

PS a small tip, save photos as .jpg .bmp takes too much space.

Attachments

• efi2.jpg
    efi2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 991
  • efi3.jpg
    efi3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,044