Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

balance shaft bearing??

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
hey,
Got some engine noise that i want to get rid of. Sounds like a bearing has gone.
Noise when running and when i turn the engine off after running it for a short time
u get a metal on metal scrub as it spins down n stops. Was thinkin it may be balance
shaft bearing as i dont have any loss of power which would probably occur if it was camshaft or crank???
Can anyone help?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, thats a bit of an unusual one.
it still makes the noise after the engine is off...
can you see anything moving strangly when it's idling? id just check the water pump and harmonic balancer and the pulleys first and go from there.
i think it will be a process of elimination to find the culprit.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I dont think it would be your balance shaft as it is directly geared to your camshaft... and when the motor stops it would stop also...instead of how you stated "winding down" I agree with the above post as the first place to look.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
its not when the engine is completly turned off it is only one you have turned the key off and the engine sort of stalls from running .
It only makes the noise for a sec or so as the engine stops spinning its just that is when it is most noticable.
Once the engine has stopped spinning and the key is off it dosnt make that noise anymore. I dont think it is a pulley
cause i took of the belt and ran it for a few seconds and it seemed to have the same noise.

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
mines been making the exact same metal on metal sound since I got the car a month ago. does it sound like its coming from the back or front of the engine. Mine comes from the bottom back.:b:

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
i think its coming from the back but i cant really tell top or bottom??
I had a feeling it was balance shaft bearing but cant be sure.
Was wondering what else it might be

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
out of curiosity, does it make the noise when its cold? When I start mine after its cold it usually takes about 1 min for the noise to start. Makes me think it could be a pump in the gearbox?