Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problem

UtelemO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrv8ute
When i start my car cold, it takes ages to fire, turns over no worries but takes a good 10 seconds of turning to fire, any one got ideas of what it could be, I have put in new plugs, leads, petty filter and given it some injector cleaner and got a new rotor button lined up, could it be the fuel pressure regulator? its a 304i

Any help much apreciated

Cheers, Olly

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
Firstly check for errors, it also could be your crank angle sensor, or your fuel filter is starting to block.

UtelemO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrv8ute
Fuel filters new and no error codes.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
One bottle of injector cleaner won't make ANY differece whatsoever. This stuff needs to be used on a regular basis to have an effect, workshops wouldn't buy an injector cleaning station worth $8-10k if a $12 bottle of chemicals will do the trick.
To your problem, I would say there is a good chance you have dirty injectors but your fuel could be bleeding off somewhere while the car is stationary. First place I would look at is your pressure regulator if you wanted to follow that diagnosis.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
it may be the fuel pump not kicking in. Can you here it when you turn the key on? I know that in the earlier ones if the fuel pump isnt getting power that the once oil pressure builds up a secondary power source kicks in and gives power to the fuel pump.
I am assuming being its a 304 that they run a dizzy so it wont be cas but maybe your hall sensor or something else in the dizzy but i would be checking that the fuel pump is kicking in properly first.

UtelemO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrv8ute
Cheers for that mate, ill get some more injector cleaners, and look into the fuel pressure regulator.

UtelemO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrv8ute
yeah sometimes theres a loud vibrating noise coming from the fuel pump area, thats when its running though