Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent start...

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Had this issue for a while now, sometimes, well a little more often now. When i go to start the car it wont start at all, wont wind over, unless i hold the lock button in on the key while i turn it over, then it starts. The check engine light illuminates for about 8-10secs then goes out. Im sorta leaning towards the key being faulty????

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Slow VR said:
Had this issue for a while now, sometimes, well a little more often now. When i go to start the car it wont start at all, wont wind over, unless i hold the lock button in on the key while i turn it over, then it starts. The check engine light illuminates for about 8-10secs then goes out. Im sorta leaning towards the key being faulty????

See what codes are coming up... Could be something to do with the 'Theft Deterrant signal missing' or something like that. It could also be that the key is flat, and or is not making connection with the contact around the ignition properly.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Only throws up 12 (all good) Ive replaced the battery in it recently, it appears that the shaft is making contact with the ring around the barrel. Mite have to look into it a little more. But do need to get another key as i dont have a spare!!! Central locking all works ok still.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Slow VR said:
Only throws up 12 (all good) Ive replaced the battery in it recently, it appears that the shaft is making contact with the ring around the barrel. Mite have to look into it a little more. But do need to get another key as i dont have a spare!!! Central locking all works ok still.

Well since you don't have a spare, maybe go and get one made up, and then just use that key for a week or two, and see if the starting issues persist... the good old process by elimination!

Last edited:

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
i'm pretty sure you'll find it's something to do with the security system, but it's more common in vs'. my car did it today, for the first time in about a fortnight. i turned the key to the start position, and nothing happened. went back, did it again and it went fine... from what i can remeber reading, it's something to do with the key head itself, and it's relation to the computer. in the owners manual, i read that you're not actually supposed to hold the buttons on the key whilst cranking, but being a vr you should only have one button for all the doors. unlike vs' that have two, unlock and lock. sometimes with vs' you have to simply press the unlock button again, and it'll crank. how often does this happen?

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Yeah i just have the 1 button. Ahhh usually happens every day now! Doh

femno

Reaction score
Members Ride
98VS
Bit of a long shot but theres a body control module somewhere...i had that problem too, they sometimes play up. Just an idea if youve already eliminated everything else.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
something to try (its not fixing it) is to put your key to accessories first, wait a second or two then crank it over.
it should start straight away if you do this, i have to do it this way all the time because i have two immobilisers.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would get a new key and while your having that done get the metal key reader contact from holden as well. Its about $6. If that doesnt solve your problem go from there. Chances are that it will solve your problem.