Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear Ute Tail Lights

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
I haven't been happy with the pink glow that the clear lenses with red bulbs give out - plus I wanted something a bit different...so my wife and I did this on the weekend.

Attachments

• Red-Lens.gif
    Red-Lens.gif
    105.8 KB · Views: 488
  • Red-Lens-Brake.gif
    Red-Lens-Brake.gif
    93.1 KB · Views: 402

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
not bad, looks different to the rest, i just got led globes, solved the pink light issue easily, and you dont see the globe in there til its on

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Struma said:
I haven't been happy with the pink glow that the clear lenses with red bulbs give out - plus I wanted something a bit different...so my wife and I did this on the weekend.

What did your wife do ? I have always had a thought at doing this by disecting the red lense from an old set of tail lights from the wreckers and "magically" glue them back into place in to the new tail lights. Looks very nice !

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Mine dont shine pink... the globes i got were really good quality.. a dark dark red.

Fatboy

Reaction score
Where do you buy the RED LED's? Do you have to modify the light in a ny way??

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Red - Pink

vsv8berlinawag said:
What did your wife do ? I have always had a thought at doing this by disecting the red lense from an old set of tail lights from the wreckers and "magically" glue them back into place in to the new tail lights. Looks very nice !

Hey thanks!

My wife Prue likes to hoon around almost as much as I do, so she gets to be assistant tool bag as well. On this job Prue did the screwdriver work removing the clear lenses, swapping the bulbs over and installing the original lenses while I was having a Coopers (and masking up the clears ready for spraying). Then the same again next day when we were putting the refinished clears back on.

I spent a while looking at the way the lenses are made, as I originally also thought about cracking the factory lenses to swap just the red piece over - but decided that the adhesives used had bonded too strongly with the lens and the whole thing would be a write off if I tried to open it.

We thought we'd forget coloured bulbs and paint the lens instead as we wanted something different (and bright).
I am really pleased with the result - the diffusion effect from the paint makes the red light look even brighter than the factory lens.

The photo shows the before and after difference.

Attachments

• Red-Clear-Lens-Brake.gif
    Red-Clear-Lens-Brake.gif
    98.1 KB · Views: 364

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
myne dont shine pink either i bought the clear/tinted tail lights off ebay and its a real dark red