Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recent ticking noise???

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
:b: I have a 97 vs series II, recently I have noticed my engine has been making an occasional ticking noise? I usually use 96 unleaded but Last tank I used 91 unleaded for a try, could the ticking noise be comming from the fuel being to low a octane????? or is it tappets/injectors????
Please help !!! love the sound of my car idling but not with this damn ticking

cheers for any help

purebitch

grease princess
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
hey mate check your exhaust manifolds that the bolts are tight and that they arent cracked... other than that you might need an oil change... worked on a vs at work last week. but it also could be the fuel. if it does it with one and not the other...
just my two cents worth

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
yeah my car has a bit of a tick to it, only really noticable when your close to the engine with the bonnet up, ive always thought that its a rocker

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
explain this to "tick" to me....does it become louder with acceleration? is it doing it all the time.. (i noticed you said "occasional" ticking) -so what are the conditions when it does tick?
i highly doubt it has to do with fuel, unless your car has been chipped to run 98 it wouldnt have an adverse affect using 91.
have a listen with the bonnet up at idle and see if you can establish the area the ticking is coming from.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
I had a hardcore ticking noise, when accelerating uphill. It sounded as if a chunk of metal had come loose and was hitting hollow metal walls in syncronization with the accleration. Got told it was a timing issue, and told to run premium unleaded. Did so, and it went away, never bothered about finding the source and have run premium ever since. I recently had a similar post up regarding this issue (poor fuel economy (15.5L/100kms), that ticking noise, rough idle(yet fluent, not about to stall) and also not the greatest power lately either) and ecu/memcal and/or injectors. No one could come up with an answer though. If anyone does have a clue about it....plz post up some replies.

Cheers, Boojakz

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
to many variables, start by doing compression test(wet & dry), oil change, could b sticky lifter either pumped up or not. You need to eliminate the variables to find the real problem otherwise ur just guessing

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Hold on ,
just a thought check that all your leads are on the spark plugs fully, any gap between the lead and the plug will result in a ticking noise (as current jumps from lead to plug) had it happen on a mates VT V6 . look at the last plug near firewall on the drivers side always a b@#ch to get on properly, try applying a bit of petrolium jelly (very slight amount) to help the lead slide on the plug easier..