Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Car Whistles.....

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Hey Peeps.

Did a search but didn't pull up much, I was wondering if any of you VS owners here have inherited a whistle in there car? at about 50 - 70 K's per hour my car develops an anoying whistle, it's not loud it's just noticable and anoying.

It also seems to be only comming from the drivers side, while I've been driving i've checked Mirrors, windscreenwipers, windows. it's not the mirrors as I've had the window down and pulled the mirror towards me and away from me (spring loaded designed to withstand small nocks) and that's not it, it's not the wipers as i put them on and the whistle is still there, and it can't be the window cause it happens when it's down.

any thoughts? anything else I should check. I was thinking the windscreen maybe:confused:

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Whistling in the dark

My ute has a whistle as well - at least I think it is an air flow noise, it begins to kick in around 40 - 50 kmh.
I can't localise mine either - was thinking it might be coming from one of the door/window mouldings.
I also think it is more on the drivers side, but then so am I...

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
My guess would be door seals.... or a supercharger :p

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Infus10n said:
My guess would be door seals.... or a supercharger :p

Oh yeah forgot it could be the SC lol.. but I don't have one :(

door seals eh.. hmmm, i'll check it out, would make sense since the drivers door is generally used more than anyother, which creates more wear...

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
whistle or whine? before gear change cood be dif/wheel bearing etc dunno

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
I have a whistle too but its only while accelerating. I think it could be a loose vacuum pipe or something.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
fitzy2005 said:
whistle or whine? before gear change cood be dif/wheel bearing etc dunno

definatly whistle, I've had my fair share of, diffs, wheel bearings, gearboxes, etc.

it's faint but noticable and anoying. I'm sure it's wind whistle as when going below 40kph it's not there (not enough wind to whistle, try half heartedly whistling by just blowing air) and when over 70kph the wind is to strong so a whistle can't occur....

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
check mobile phone aerial.

CRAIGO_VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 'S'
try the glove box mate as when im driving and i open it up. you can hear the whistle louder!

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
ssute57l said:
check mobile phone aerial.

errr Mobile phone aerial? please enlighten me as to what you mean. I have no car kits, not mobile phone aerials outside the vehicle, my mobile phone hasn't even got an aerial, do you mean the cars aerial?

that could be a point, I don't actually have an aerial, as it has snapped off, maybe the wind over the aerial whole could be creating a whistle.

open the glove box. ok i'll see what I get