Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate Control

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
I have a VS Berlina and been having troubles with the climate control, sometimes it will turn on straight away when i start the car like normal. But sometimes i will turn on while im reversing out the driveway. but at worst it will be bout 5mins before it turns on. Always on cold mornings of course!! :b:

When pressing the buttons nothing happens, i have checked the plugs at the back and they were all clipped in fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or can suggest something that might fix the problem.

Cheers

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
had exactly the same issues

replace all the fan relays

so that is the high and low thermos, and the air cond.

and it should go away

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
ok thanks for that
Is it something easy to do myself or just as easy to goto an auto elec?
i dont mean to sound stupid but where bouts are the fan relays?

Cheers

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
Hey if you read your manual (if you got one) it says that it will not turn on straight away in cold mornings if its set to auto because it waits till it reaches the specifiec temperature. So what Im trying to say is that its normal. Just get it out of auto.

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
Yeh i know that but what is actually happening its not turning on at all because normally when its on auto the display is still on but its just not doing anything at all. So its something wrong with the power to it or something.
I think i might try the relay thing unless someone else has another idea.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
my old calais used to do that but only on cold mornings bloody things.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Guys the climate doesn't have to be in full auto mode for nothing to happen first thing. You can be in manual mode, and still have the fan speed on automatic, which is how mine runs.

On cold mornings, or infact any time that the engine is cold, and you have the climate temperature set to a level above that of the outside ambient, nothing will happen, until the engine warms up.

For example, this morning when I left for work, it was about 2 degrees, and I had the climate set to 22 deg. The car was running for about 5 minutes before I got any hot air coming into the cabin, and then it gradually got hotter and the fan slower as the engine warmed up. The climate system doesn't start heating until the engine coolant temp reaches more than 45 deg C, to help the engine warm up quicker... so this may explain what you are experiencing. If the display is still on on the unit itself, then you don't have any problem!

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
yer but what he means is the thing does nothing at all ever...blank screen

and yes you can change the relays yourself, its really easy, they plug in and out like a power plug

it is all simplified if you get the gregorys manual

VSBerlina95

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Berlina
thanks haloeight that is what i mean blank screen sorry if i was unclear to everyone else.

Are the relays located in the climate control unit its self or are they under the bonnet with all the other relays?
If thats all it is then its much easier to fix than i thought. Thought it might be an expensive auto elec job.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
under the bonnet in the fuse box, doing those 2 should solve it, if not its kind of a case of musical chairs, but eventually ull get it

this was exactly the same symptom with mine, and it was iffy on really cold or really hot days