Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car just turned off while driving!

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey,

I just installed my Cold Air Intake tonight and i took it for a drive.
After about 35min of driving the car just shut off with no stutter or anything. It was while i was slowing down, No engine light came on before hand either. It started up straight away with no problem. I drove for another 10min and it done it again while slowing down to a round about, it just cut off but started straight back up. Then i drove it home (about 30min) and it ran fine.
Infact after it stalled the car ran 100% better and was more responsive and was running smooth. (Before it stalled about 5min before i booted it a couple of times and a wierd noise was coming from the tailshaft/tranny area it has always done it but it was more noticable tonight only when it gets around the high rpm but after the car stalled it, it no longer made those sounds and was running good. Am i tripping or did something happen to the computer that worked in my favour? LOL If it sounds like a load of **** just ignore the bit where it is running better and tell me why it was shutting off Heheh :rofl:

Anyway,
So i tell my girlfriend to give me the bobby pin out of her hair and i strip the plastic off and do a test and it came up (12 - OK) so there seems to be nothing wrong with the computer side from what it is telling me. I checked the battery and all the wiring seems all secure. It cant be a flat battery cause the car kicks over fine.
And im 100% sure i did not touch any of the wiring on the air box as i was very careful when i put the cold air intake in and double checked to make sure it was all ok.

Any help would be appriciated as i dont want to get stuck somewhere i go to holden and they rip me off and tell me my computers stuffed or something.

Cheers,
Scott

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My best guess would a dodgy fuel pump in the fuel tank which is operating intermittently - this would kill the motor without warning lights and 'maybe' also make a screaming noise from the rear

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I dont think it was the fuel pump making the noise and stopping the car, It was more like something loose and rattling and was not coming from that area.

It better not be a fuel pump i have done 3 of them in my previous cars LOL

Also when a fuel pump normally goes it only fails at start up i thought. I had a combo van and once it got started it would not shut itself off. Once the pump starts going it wont stop, If they are stuffed they normally have troubles starting up. And start when you bash the **** out of them Hehe.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
So how about a dodgy fuel pump relay/fuse/wiring connector to fuel pump. The real clue may be fitting the CAI....you may have knocked a wire or something.... Maybe you need to re-trace your steps when you fitted the CAI. Good Luck.

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey,

I just took it to the mechanic and he said he has no idea and he is not changing things cause it could become costly replacing thigns that dont need to be done.
He said he is 90% sure it is the crank angle sensor, But he said leave it for a couple of days and see if it still does it and he will change it but he cant see anything else that would be wrong with it as its not fuel related.

Cheers,
Scott

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Hey All,

I had a 88 VN exec n she used to stall after about 15min of driving city or H/way so i took it to me local mechanic n he said it was definatly the crank angle sensor so he changed it and said the old one was that stuffed it just fell off into a hep of peices but after i picked up the car it did the same thing about 30min after pickin it up....i always had a feeling it was the fuel pump as it getts really loud sum times and could only use about 5mm - 10mm of accelerator b4 it would start to stall....pull ova n start her again n she is fine for another 15min.....so the next time i went to the mechanic i told him to do a fuel pressure test n the test were ok but it wouldnt hold pressure after it was turned off...so i replaced the pump n never had a problem again....so if ur fuel pump makes sum loud noises after a bit of drivin id say she's headinfor a newie....just thought id add my 5cents n hopefullly save ppl sum stuffin round.....

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks mate,
Did it stutter or splatter cause of the fuel pump, i thought it would splatter abit before it dies like its starving for fuel?

Cheers,
Scott

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
When I read your original post I thought crank angle sensor too, but you will get a fault code for that one. I would be heading down the fuel side of things. Wouldnt have anything to do with the CAI.

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks,
We sort of leaned away from it being a fuel problem due to it not splattering and it would start back up straight away as normal.
If it was say a fuel pump you would think if it starved for fuel and cut out that it would be a little harder to start due to there being no fuel there until it pumps through again?
The CAS is getting changed now at the mechanic, It only does it on very cold mornings and nights so i guess ill have to wait till tomorrow morning to see if that fixed it hehe.

Cheers,
Scott