Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

high fluel usage

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
Hey guys

a Few months ago i had really bad fuel useage, this was fixed after i replaced my O2 sensor.

now a couple months later here we are again with allmost worse useage than back then. any ideas on what it could be? its onsertly soundling like O2 again to me , as it seems ot be useagea fair bit more and its as if its useing the smae amount no matter what i'm doing, like for instance since i've filled up i've done 50k's and used 1/4 of a tank, also i've left the engnie on idle for perhaps 20~25mins total

yesterday i'd done 140k's when i went and filled up 23L of petrol :) thats what around 16+L per hundred

after i first replaced the O2 i was getting around 10L per hundred

other thing i've heard a dodgy cat converter can make petrol useage high. but this bad? hte cat is smelling quite bad these days, (i'm waiting for one i bought off street commodore forums to arive) to see if that makes any diffrence,

if it is the O2 again what would course it to die so quickly? (it was a brand new NGK one)
Also anyone got any other ideas on what it may be, planning a trip of around 800 to 1000k's on the weekend no way can we aford to take my car at this rate (and i really don't want to die a in rio :|)

any advice you gusy can give me would be great :)

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
There are a few variables,

How do you drive?
Any mods?
engine K's

it could be, o2 sensor again, maybe air flow sensor, dirty throttle body, dodgy injectors, fuel filter (do you loose power up hills or heavy acceleration?), when was your last service?

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
laterly i've been driving quite soft ,but still give it a pretty good run

k's just under 200,000
mods: pacemaker extractors, zourst, pod filter, thats about it for now.

um as for last service done self, um wasn;t all at once but within 3 weeks or so of each other, maybe 60000~7000k's ago, changed oil, oil filter, fuel fliter , and spark plugs.

naaa dont say i loose power up hills or anything, thats why its so odd, lasttime i O2 sensor went i lost power, this time i havn't :|:|:| (mind you at the same time my stock headers were damaged and i replaced em with pacemakers)

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Is your pod filter sheilded? ie. enclosed away from heat? if not it could be drawing in a lot of 'hot' air increasing fuel usage. basically your having to burn twice as much air and fuel to get the same power. hot air fills a larger area than cold air, so you can't fit as much in your combustion chamber. the colder the air the more that will fit and the more power you get due to a larger explosion using the same amount of fuel.. does that make sence?

by "zourst" you mean exhaust? extractors and larger exhaust usually make the engine more efficient therefor creating more power, and occasionally better fuel economy but pretty rare.

are you mostly doing city driving or do you highway alot?

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
The poddy is un shielded yeah, just basicly hanging where the old airbox sits,,
yep that makes sense,

yeah sorry mate i meant exhaust just lazy :), i noticed after the extractors my fuel went down abit, around 10L per 100 instead of 11.5 odd so that made a diffrence

Mostly city, but it doesn't seem to be making a diffrence at the moment

i unpluged the o2 sensor for a while and it does doing the same thing and lots of black smoke, sounds very much like it might be dead again??

the current O2 is a NGK one and is about 2 months old, i'm thinking should i try a genu one?

binkztarr

2DA-PUB
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
hi i often lose power im my vr when heavy accelerating,
i think it could be my injectrors and will probably get some injector cleaner next time i fill up, do u rekon that this would be the way to go???

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
binkztarr said:
hi i often lose power im my vr when heavy accelerating,
i think it could be my injectrors and will probably get some injector cleaner next time i fill up, do u rekon that this would be the way to go???

sounds more of a fuel dilervery problem, I'd check fuel filter first. only $10 and who knows when it was last changed. I changed mine last weekend. made a world of difference, the old one was so blocked.