Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reco'd pr Rebored?

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey,

Thinking of two things:

A) Either getting a rebore, or
B) Getting a reconditioned engine for my VS.

Has anyone had either one done before by a mechanic? If so, what could I be looking at roughly to get it done? If so, can anyone refer me to places which will do this, either in Melbourne or outer west/norther suburbs?

Thanks for the help!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
id work with your own engine...it simply isnt wise (i believe) to trust an engine passed off as reco-ed...you dont know whats been done to it or how well its been rebuild (ie, was it balanced and blueprinted).
you would most likely need a mechanic to remove your engine (usually around $500...unless you can get mates rates or do it yourself,etc.) and send the block and heads off to the appropriate workshops to be re-honed and decked etc....most everyday mechanics just dont have the sort of equipment (and know-how) to do this sort of work.
then once thats completed you would replace a few internals and stuff...cam and crankshaft bearings, re-ring pistons if they are still alright, lifter if needed..stuff like that..hard to say untill you crack it open and see how everything has fared over the years.
it would be difficult to give a price as it depends on what parts will be needed to be replaced and how much labour a mechanic will charge...but id say in excess of $3k

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Sounds like a bit of work, wouldn't mind doing it. Old man would have a fit if I started doing it up the driveway though...

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I thought wen they reco'd engines that they r meant to rebore em neways?

I'd do ur engine too though, that way u wan't have to worry bout changing engines numbers etc.