Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs

D

davebart25

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my VS rear end (which is stuffed) with one from a VP. I dont want to muck around changing the diff. I have a VP which is being used for parts.
Neither cars have IRS.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think you can swap it over but I'm no expert. I know there were some changes to the front end from VP to VS but I think they left the rear end alone. A visual check should answer your question....mainly check that the the rear uni joint flange, hydraulic fluid lines and handbrake cables are identical. Good Luck.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
What is it your changing?
if it's the diff, and niether are IRS then yes its a simple bolt job.
if it's things like rear bar etc then AFAIK they're different and not interchangable

D

davebart25

Thank for the replies.

I want to take the whole rear end out of the VP and put into the VS as the diff in the VS is whinning its head off.

I believe that if I take the diff out and change over the diff it will then have to have be set with shims as they arn't like a banjo diff (older holden) where you can replace the centre without any problems.....is that right?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
They are a Salisbury type and not a banjo as you say which means you cannot swap centres....at least not without a lot of hassles which you are trying to avoid. Try taking some measurements to make sure they are the same or maybe ring a Holden wrecker and ask them if a VP fits a VS. Sure would be a lot easier to swap the whole lot over. Good Luck.