Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ecotec against a 5lt vl

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
gday all im just wondering what you think would win out of an ecotec with an exhaust compared to a vl 5lt with an exhaust considering on paper the vs has more kw cheers

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
commo69 said:
gday all im just wondering what you think would win out of an ecotec with an exhaust compared to a vl 5lt with an exhaust considering on paper the vs has more kw cheers

I'm really not too sure who would win. I'd take a guess and say the 5L VL, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on the exhaust. A sports exhaust on a stock VS won't make it go faster, just louder. Especially off the line. It might help at high speed, I don't know, but don't think a bigger exhaust means a faster car. If you go exhaust you'll probably need a good set of extractors to go with them to get real performance.

VR_Project

Reaction score
Members Ride
MWS Improved VS Ute
thats definately interesting...i would say the VL...it would have more torque with the V8 and probably a quicker pick up... any VS ecotec owners or VL V8 owners wanna test it out just for the hell of it? =P

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It's be close... but my money would probably be on the vs...

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
mattman said:
It's be close... but my money would probably be on the vs...

id say your right dude the vs has been one of the fastest v6's ive driven and ive driven vk vl vn vr vs vt vy out of the v6 commy's they are very light and very peppy compared to the older commys and newwer commys ive taken a 5L vr v8 calais for a test drive before and i thought my vs v6 sedan had more go than that mind you it was a total thrash car bold tyres buckled rims no breaks etc but yeah it would be interesting to see the result of that race

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeh.. all said and done.. a stock 5L isn't all that much better than the ecotec (yeh I'm going to get shot)... especially if it's been flogged. A clean vs has good pickup off the line...

Now going back to 308 carby days... and it's all going backwards...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Est 1/4 miles...

VL 16.6 sec
VS 15.8 sec

if they both are auto and both executives

tarlo

Reaction score
your forgeting about weight vls weigh less than vs's
its all about power to weight

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
well im racing my mate this weeekend to see whos is faster cause he has been mouthing of about his vl but i was just looking at power figures and a vs has 147 maybe 150 with an exhaust and pod which i have and a vl 5lt has around 122kw. also i was just researching the 2 cars and it said the kerb weight which i dont no if thats the real weight a vs is lighter

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I raced my mates stock VL 3L in my Ecotec.. We both floored our auto's off the mark at the same time..

His car took off quicker and he was a bit ahead til 60km/h.. After 60km/h I just shot past him like a rocket.. He couldn't come close to keeping up..

But he did win upto 60..

It could be because my car's on LPG and has lost power, but my car's a bulky thing with really slow take off.. But it kicks in in high end revs..