Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worn rings in V6 eco tech, replace or reco?

S

sassy_41

i have worn rings, all the mechs have been telling me 2 get my motor recondition with a price range of 2 to 3 grand to do. but i hear of people just replacing the rings. what would b best to do, get a reco or just replace the rings? has any1 just replaced there rings and how well did that work?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
I suppose just replaceing the rings would hold it together but i would vote taking the time and money for a reconditioning, at least that way you would make your engine feel like the $2000 you put into it.

rivsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
HI, Might be a bit to late to respond, my head gaskets went in my vs and was quoted 1600 bills to repair, rang the local wreckers and got a VXII late 2002 model engine with 35k on it, it was still in the car when i went to look at it, the motor was still brand new looking for $1000 took two days to put in.. she goes like a rocket now.....

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
nice score :) must flip out in the wet.

izedso

It's not a family wagon!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Acclaim Wagon
This might sound stupid, but how you know if you have worn rings??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Rings are fitted to the pistons to seal the combustion chamber - when they wear, gas will escape past the rings into the crankcase plus the rings will not completely remove the oil film from the cylinder bore. This oil film left on the bore burns next time the cylinder fires and the result is blue smoke out the exhaust especially when accelerating. The engine will also generally lack power due to lower compression pressures and probably have some piston slap. The other thing that will happen is that you will use quite a bit of oil - sometimes measured in litres per 100 km. Rings are cheap to buy but installing them involves a complete teardown of the engine with all new gaskets etc....a costly exercise unless labour is free.

Last edited:
S

sassy_41

i took it 2 5 mechs who said it was rings, they didnt even look over the motor, they just said yep its blowin smoke so its the rings. but then i found a mech that actually looked at the moter, he found it was just the valve stems and gasket, only cost $900 2 fix,