Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS AirCon

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've got a VS Berlina. When i floor it and the air con is on it kicks down to feet vents and the face ones turn off. I was thinking maybe its a power saving feature to give more power to the engine when flooring it? maybe the floor vents take less power to pump air through than the face? Or maybe theres something wrong with my car? Is this normal for VS'?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
You've got a vacuum problem, and it's pretty common for commodores around this age. You lose vacuum under load (accelerating up hills, etc), and with a vacuum leak you don't have enough vacuum to keep the face vent open and it defaults to the floor.

Forgive my memory, but the Berlina has climate control, right? The symptoms are the same whether standard or climate, but with climate control the fix is slightly different. It's more than likely to be a problem with the solenoid valve pack (hidden behind the console just below the radio). Check out the following thread for guidance:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=22750

Just remember the leak may be in the solenoid pack or it could be in any one of the vacuum lines coming from the engine. Your choice what you tackle first:

A) Replace the solenoid pack @ $130 new (take you an hour or so) with no gaurantee the leak has been fixed, in which case head to the next step.

B) Check all other vacuum lines for leaks (it will take a couple of hours but it costs you nothing unless you have to replace a hose). If you don't find a leak anywhere then go to A).

Hope this helps.
Mark.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yea the Berlina has climate control. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out :)