Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Boot Garnish

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Hey all. I want to paint my boot garnish on my car white so it matches in with the rest of the car. What’s the best paint to use and how do I paint it? I was thinking paint the inside of the plastic but when I had a look it doesn’t seem to come off because its all one big piece.

Regards, Rhys.

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
bout to do this aswell, any ideas? was thinkin about just gettin my colour paint in a can, and can of clearcoat.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
tysons_2001 said:
bout to do this aswell, any ideas? was thinkin about just gettin my colour paint in a can, and can of clearcoat.

I did mine a while ago. Scuff it up with fine sandpaper, coupla coats of plastic primer and then a coupla coats of dupli-colour to match your cars paint.

I tried it with a few coats of clear, but didn't like it, so I sanded back and reapply dupli-colour.

I'm happy with the results.

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
Are you talking about the reflector strip as in the picture??

if so then its a case of firstly lightly rubbing back, then a coat of primer, then rub back and another coat of primer then a light rub back. Then a coat of the colour of your car (Autobarn can mix you up a spray pack), go at least 2 coats with light sanding in between. Finnaly finish with a clear coat hard finish to protect it. Thats how i did mine anyway!

Hope it helps

Attachments

• new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 559

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Mine was done by a panel shop when the side strips were colour coded. Only cost an extra $10 or $20. It might be worth getting a quote - just may turn out cheaper than painting it yourself

Attachments

• greeny bum.jpg
    greeny bum.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 410

00VRO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
the garnish does come off but if you've never paint anything before it could turn into a mess.
I am a painter and i only ever use 2 pack paint. If your going to try it out of a can here is how you do it.
Take the garnish off and sand it with a 400 grit wet and dry. Put down 2 coats of plastic primer. Lightly sand it back when dry with a 400 grit wet and dry. Then put down 3 coats of white primer. Using a black spray paint mist a light layer over the primer, enough that you can still see the primer easly. This is call a guide coat. Sand this back when dry with a 800 grit wet and dry till the black is gone. Remember to use water in all sanding. Then spray the white down. Light, medium and heavy. Try not to get any runs. Let this touch dry then do the same for the clear coat. Leave for 24 hours before refitting.
Regards, Troy

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
why would u need to apply a guide coat on a reflector? if no repairs were being done?

00VRO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
genIIIbandit said:
why would u need to apply a guide coat on a reflector? if no repairs were being done?

When you sand back the primer for painting you need to see that the primer is 100% flat. Guide coat isn't just for repairs, It's to make sure you have a good flat surface for the paint to go on. If you paint straight over the primer with no sanding you will get a wavey reflection.