Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

every bump hit the front end goes clunk

H

hsv14u

Hey guys, i need some help i have a vr clubsport and every time i hit a bump on the road the front drivers side makes a clunk clunk noise, could the shock need replacing or could it be something else. Any help would be appreciated.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I had this on mine, for me it was swaybar link washers (centre ring) pushing together, holding the nut off giving about 4mm movement

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
It could be the big retaining nut on the shock that holds the strut insert in. had this happen on my old calais when i got new shocks in the mechanic didn't tighten it enough

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
is it a clunck you here or do you feel it as well?

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
soon as i read ya post i thought of the brushes or bushes one of them
i had a problem with them abit back

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
most likely a sway bar link pin bush has gone...pretty common, especailly if your car is lowered at all.

H

hsv14u

97 SEN said:
is it a clunck you here or do you feel it as well?
yeah i can feel it, like something is moving up and down hitting top and bottom

Tadgh

itsjustasix
Reaction score
Members Ride
blown VS executive SII, 5sp
Had the same problem with mine, it was a really bad metalic clunk and it felt like that shocky was RS. I accidently found the problem when doing an oil change (i didn't look into it cause i figured i was due for new shocks) and I noticed that my sway bar was not sitting right. It turns out that one of the bushes on the link rod had completely perished, leaving a ridiculous amount of movement, and metal on metal contact between the strut and the washer where the bush was meant to be! I figured while i was replacing the bush i might as well up-grade with link rod kit from nolathane. Its amazing how much difference a little piece of urathane can make , my front end has never behaved better and the whole thing only cost about $40 to do both sides. It's a pretty simple job to do, you will need stands and not just for safety reasons but because you will need both front wheels off the ground and your jack to load and unload your suspenspension at different times in order to get the rods in and out.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Every bump = sway bar rubbers gone, mine fall off all the time.

Drive over a rough dirt road slowly, that should show it's either the stabiliser bar or the strut, tie pod end perhaps ? the stuffed strut will show no damping when you first bounce it in the morning, compare each side with a mate.