Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Code 72 occasional limp home.....

M

Masher64

Twice in the last 3 mths my ride has gone into "limp home " mode when starting off in the morning...the trans stays in second and wont lock up.

This is "cured" by turning off the ignition and restarting....
I did the "paperclip and count the flashes thing" and got Code 72.."VSS intermittent"...further research and a chat with my tame mechanic I came to the conclusion that the VSS unit throws occasional "fault" readings to the ECU...the VSS on the trans extension housing is about $280 to replace..any ideas as to whether I should give it some time to get worse :) or does it reallyneed to be replaced ? Doesn't seem that anything too bad can go wrong?

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
yes i know this thread is 100 years old but my vs ss is doing the exact same thing! any ideas anyone?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd check the wiring from the VSS especially the connector plug. Try removing the code as well and see if it returns.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
I'd check the wiring from the VSS especially the connector plug. Try removing the code as well and see if it returns.
well i had the car at the mechanics for a roadworthy yesterday, and when i was driving it there, the "abs off" light came on, so he checked error codes and said was a speed sensor? so had that replaced with a second hand unit (couldnt get a new one) and since then i noticed the engine light would stay on longer when i start the car, but tonight i left the shops and it stayed on for a few k's, (with limp home mode) till i pulled over, turned it off then on again and all good!