Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake booster?

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
every now and then (3 times in 6 months) im just driving along normally, i go to brake and notice the pedal is a bit harder to push down than normal, as i drive on the pedal gets harder and harder to push down. the car feels like the brakes are slowly being applied by them self.

The 2 other times this had happened, the pedal and brakes had gone back to normal after stopping and doing a u turn to come back home. Today though i didnt really stop and do a u turn, just went in a circle around the block to get home the few hundred metres.
by the time i got home onto my gravel driveway, the brakes had applied themselves so much that the back wheels would just spin like i was holding down the brakes and doing a burnout.
i got out to have a look as good as i could in the rain, noticed that the brake lights were still on but went out a few seconds after i saw it, the car was still on and idleing.
after that it went away and all was fine again.

Anyone know what the problem is or had anything similar happen?

CHANDLC

BushBasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 V6 VS LEXCEN
Mate that is a strange one and a serious prop but when it comes to your brakes with a proplem like that i think the best thing to do would be to take it to the mechanics and get it looked asap before it causes an accident

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Could be the brake booster although I have never had this problem. Will have a look in the manual tomorrow for you about checking the booster. Do you know what the booster looks like? Do you have a manual?

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
nah havent gotten around to buying a car manual for it yet, so yeah i dunno about doing any checks. might have to take a trip to super cheap tomorrow and pick one up

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
firstly , jack all 4 wheels off ground, and clamp brake lines to check if individual wheels are braking, does it idle smooth? if not check the vacuum hose to booster

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
yeah pressing and realeasing the brake makes a slight change in idle, that normal or not? i noticed that after the problem had gone away, didnt really check when it was happening.
its just weird seeing as it only does it once about every 2 months.
the brake fluid is a bit dirty and does need a change, is this a factor?

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
yes it is normal for the idle to change slightly when the brake pedal is depressed, as the booster works on vacuum, and at idle the engine creates max. vacuum. You could have moisture in the reservoir, if it was mine i would firstly suck out old fluid then bleed the system, then jack up all four wheels, clamp flexiable lines individual and insure that all fours wheels are working indepdently, you might find that the sliders are seized, the caliper is seized, there are no pads left, etc....

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
take the caliper apart and clean the sliders that go into the caliper then apply a small amount of grease just enough to lube it up. this is if u know wich caliper it is. i had this happen to my vr i cleaned all callipers and while it was in the air 4 the sake of $12 i bled the brakes aswell. this should fix it!!!

elmoticus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Just wondering if you found the problem with this car. I am experiencing exactly the same symptons at the moment, have checked caliper slides, machined rotors, replaced pads, flushed and bled brake fluid and problem still persists.Even noticed brake lights on after getting out of car so sounds like the exact same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
dont know if my probs similar or not but sometimes my brake pedal wont move at all... its like its just there 2 rest ur foot on or something.. only happens when its in park.. but its kinda uhh.. creepy?