Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 to VS V6

krizko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
hey people, i blew up the engine in my VR a few weeks ago, and after searching for an engine, i could only find an ecotec from a VS. i need to know what is needed for this changeover. will the trans bolt up to the ecotec? do i need the computer and such? or will the VR comp run it? any help will be much appreciated.

J

jc58nc

krizko said:
hey people, i blew up the engine in my VR a few weeks ago, and after searching for an engine, i could only find an ecotec from a VS. i need to know what is needed for this changeover. will the trans bolt up to the ecotec? do i need the computer and such? or will the VR comp run it? any help will be much appreciated.
The best way is to rewire the car to a complete Vs wiring loom, you will need a Vs ECU and PCM.
The gearbox will bolt up but if yours is a manual it can be either a 6 or 8 bolt flywheel.
Have a look at Street Commodores web site under Power Play, Transplants, Vx Ecotec V6 into a Vr Manual, this is where I detailed my Vx Ecotec transplant into my Vr Ute, but I used both Vx engine and auto. It will give you an idea of all the parts needed.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
how did you get the vx auto to run with the vs ecu? the lockup functions differently.
I'm looking at doing an ecotec conversion (among other ideas) and have been told that a trans will only work with an ecu from it's original year/model

J

jc58nc

TheForgotten said:
how did you get the vx auto to run with the vs ecu? the lockup functions differently.
I'm looking at doing an ecotec conversion (among other ideas) and have been told that a trans will only work with an ecu from it's original year/model
It works fine with the Vs ECU & harness, no problems at all.

I've checked the ECU wiring diagrams for the Vs Vt & Vx and they all work on the same principle of two solenoids for the TCC lockup, the only difference being where they connect to the ECU can be a different pin number depending on the model, but the auto end will all be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Rod at the castlemaine rod shop will hook you up with everything you need to do the job.

J

jc58nc

juzsvy said:
Rod at the castlemaine rod shop will hook you up with everything you need to do the job.
It realy doesn't need anything special, it can be done with stock Commodore Vs parts and wiring, this makes it easier for repairs in the future if they are needed.