Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just serviced transmission - need help!

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Hey Guys,

Sorry for long post but really need some advice.

I just finished the service on my VS V6 transmission. Got an issue going into drive though, its *really* harsh. Gear changes are fine once driving and so is reverse, it's just going into drive that is the issue.

I took off the pan making sure not to get any dirt inside. I removed the filter and installed the new one. It was really tight (I removed the rubber piece from the end) but I think I pushed it all the way in.

As the car was on angle (front wheels on ramps) I put in 4.4 litres of dexIII and started the car to get it off so could check it on level ground. I selected drive drive and it was harsh, reverse was fine. The gregories manual said it needed to be at cold mark after I'd gone through all gears and let it idle for 3 mins (whilst cold). It was under so I added 400ml and repeated. As the car warmed up it started to go over hot. I took it for a drive and checked again.. the level is about 1cm over hot.

To add to the confusion, I measured how much dexIII was left in bottle (it says 5 litres on pack) and there was 900ml! Is it possible the oil had overhalf a litre more in the bottle than what was stated?

So, car drives ok but drive is really harsh.. I'll have to get the oil down to the hot level but is it ok to drive the car until I can and do you guys think the level has something to do with the harsh shifting?

Thanks for your time, I did the service as money is tight but I wish I didn't now.

Clacks

Edit: I used another measuring cup to test the first one and they are different! I think I actually put 4.2 litres in which would make sense, so there was 5 litres in the bottle. So the book says 4.8 litres for a service but my dipstick is showing too much...I'm really confused!

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
its better to have 2 much than not enough!
it when the auto changes gears up and down or just when u first put it in drive

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
does it make a clunk sound?

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
POVRTY said:
does it make a clunk sound?

I measured what I drained out...it was 4 litres so I'm 200ml over, do yuo think that's ok?

Yeah it a loud metallic clunk, any ideas?

Thanks for reply.

Clacks

Edit: Oh and its only when you put it into "D" Upshifts and downshifts feel ok.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
POVRTY said:
its better to have 2 much than not enough!
it when the auto changes gears up and down or just when u first put it in drive
actually it is very dangerous to have to much, that is why vt came out with lockable trans filler, some dude in qld was towing a caravan up a hill, the trans fluid came out the filler and caught the car on fire. Your problem is with the rubber on the filter, i NEVER change this, as it is a prick to get it sitting correctly, and really it does f#ck all except hold filter in place, did you use a genuine filter? I have serviced/rebuilt serveral of these autos and is not uncommon 4 them to blow up a couple of weeks after a service, how many kms on auto? how much metal on the magnet? did u puit the clip on that holds the filter in place? what was it like b4 u serviced it?(read my previous threads if ya want my opinion on these autos)

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
200ml is stuff all and if the oil is coming out the filler its way way over. 200 ml will be fine

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
genIIIbandit said:
actually it is very dangerous to have to much, that is why vt came out with lockable trans filler, some dude in qld was towing a caravan up a hill, the trans fluid came out the filler and caught the car on fire. Your problem is with the rubber on the filter, i NEVER change this, as it is a prick to get it sitting correctly, and really it does f#ck all except hold filter in place, did you use a genuine filter? I have serviced/rebuilt serveral of these autos and is not uncommon 4 them to blow up a couple of weeks after a service, how many kms on auto? how much metal on the magnet? did u puit the clip on that holds the filter in place? what was it like b4 u serviced it?(read my previous threads if ya want my opinion on these autos)

I never saw any clip to hold the filter in... was that at the back of the filter? I pushed the filter in as much as I dared but it looked pretty close to how I found it.

Yeah I removed the rubber and used the one already installed as I read what a prick they were to remove. It was from Auto one so no, it wasn't genuine.

There was no visible metal pieces in there although the magnet had sludge on it.

Thanks
Clacks

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
POVRTY said:
200ml is stuff all and if the oil is coming out the filler its way way over. 200 ml will be fine

When I took the car out this arvo, it was fine! Shifting into Drive was great and all gears seemed really smooth. When I came home I left the car running in Park, when I came out to go drive was a bit rough so I'm not sure if something is out of alignment like the linkage? I can't see how it could have changed as I was careful not to knock or touch anything.

Clacks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If your dipstick indicates the oil level is correct when the oil is hot then don't worry. If it is slightly over then that should not be a problem unless your are way over. If you are really worried then loosen an oil cooler hose connection and let some drain out (with engine switched off). If you think it is 200ml over then that is bugger all. The dipstick lock was installed on the VS when the Ecotec motor came out - the 4L60E transmission would overheat when towing and a service bulletin was issued. The VS11 also had an external oil cooler added as an extra precaution. I've never seen a clip on the filter - it is held in place by the oil sump when it is bolted up - the rubber seal on the filter neck is to prevent the oil pump sucking air which leads to sloppy changes (if at all). It is virtually impossible to stuff something up by changing the oil/filter/gasket so don't blame yourself unless you happened to somehow get the rubber seal out of position - you did remove the old one? - and the new filter had the seal on the neck?. Sound like you did everything correctly.
The "clunk" is probably not related to the trans oil change and purely coincidental. Good Luck.