Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Drive?

sam__kent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hi folks - another auto trans question:

What are people's views on using "Drive" - do you use it all the time, or only over 80km/h?

Specifically, I am asking about a VR auto, as I figure it would be a "smart enough" auto box, so I use drive all the time - even in 50 and 60 zones.

Any advice appreciated

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i use gears in my vr auto all the time to slow down :) compression braking heh :)

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
no need to use the gears in an auto, except when you dont want it to change up gears, this is usually when you are towing or want the car to rev higher

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh id agree, just use drive. except for doing stand stills (use 1st 4 that :))

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
vr-vs, just leave it in D. its only the vn and vp drivers that need to worry about switching between [D] and D.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
it depends, if u want a more instant responce all the time i leave it in 3rd with power on but it uses more fuel, for everyday driving leave it in D saves you on fuel also

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I wouldnt muck around with it, except if I was towing (thats what its designed for). Playing with them can put the wrong pressures in the wrong places at the wrong times -> recondition tranny -> $1700

J

Joes_meat

I often leave it in 3rd so the torque converter will lock up.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
the power button does two different things when D is selected. when the power button is on it will stay in 3rd untill you hit 85kmph then hit overdrive. it also holds 1st gear longer. with economy it will go into overdrive no matter what speed unless you select 3rd. i've been told that if the overdrive is engaged at low speeds (0-60) it can cause the trans to overheat. i leave mine in D and the power button on all the time.