Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spraying door trim..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Executive Wagon
hey guys just wanna see wat ya think of my door trim... i got sick of the grey stock colour and decided to spray it a light tan colour... tell me wat ya think!!

door trim 001.jpg

door trim 006.jpg

door trim 003.jpg

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
hey i like the colour it kind of looks a bit like a leather colour. maybe attention to detail around the window winder and ash tray and inside door handle it would look pro

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
mm thats looks pretty snazzy, looks luxury i like it!

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Looks good, but u need to change the cloth insert now to match the tan colour.

Also wheres the rest of the door pocket gone? ? ? ?

Looks weird with just the speaker pod, guess Im just used to seeing the whole thing. . . .

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
interesting door pod, no map holder thingy.

also is the original speaker grille on yours cloth? doesnt look mesh in the photo.

came up ok otherwise though some of the grey still shows. good job none the less.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Executive Wagon
yeh i need to do another coat next w/e and maybe some sealant as the paint kept chipping off when i was putting it bak in the car... on the drivers side there is only a speaker pod, cos my car is a column shift and the hand brake is beside the door, not permitting for the rest of the pocket...

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
yes, I was going to ask how you painted the vinyl as I know its not that easy. Door trims get kicked, rubbed and scratched all the time, and unless its painted professionally, than I would say all you are doing, is creating a nightmare for yourself.

Questions:
Did you primer before you painted the surface? (Plastic Primer?)
Did you use the right paint for the right job?
Did you apply a few coats of paint, or just one?
Did you allow the coats to dry before reapplying?
Did you spray clear coats at all to help prevent visible scratches?

Thats all I could think of.......

PS: Its not a bad idea to ask a panel beater to spray your trims for you as they have the right gear, and SHOULD follow the right process.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
not to shabby

Not to bad looks good but trust me when i tell you its going to have to get constant resprays...i done my centre console in my old car and no matter how many coats of clear it would always scratch in the end i regretted it...good luck with it

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i advise to use vinyl paint, i recently bought the calais series 2 woodgrain for my radio facia and around the gearstick, because the calais's interior was blue that the new console came out of at wreckers, i matched my original colour and sprayed it with vinyl paint, came up butiful,put on 2/3 coats and is hasnt scratchd or anything, will b painting my ash trays also as they r black now instead of grey.