Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic Gear knobs

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Hey all

Just wondering seen as though so many of us drive automatic commos, not that we all prefure it (I would have got a manual if i could have) Has anyone seen or done anything with their standard gear knob/shifter. Ive been thinkin my self that i would like to put in a new shifter, but only when i get the tranny worked on and covert it to be fully manulised, So in the meen time i would like to do something else with it, Like how you can buy aftermarket knobs for manuals, who has an auto with one? or changed there stocko one to something a bit more exciting?

Pictures would be great!

Thanks, Zach

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
theres a very limited choice of what you could do because of the unique design of the knob. ive seen one vn with a vt shifter on it.
the best you could do is get a leather shifter knob from a vs stato

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i've seen one that looked like it had been sanded smooth. it got rid of that fake leather look. looked alright.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, there's not alot of choice for a "straight swap" of shifters.
ontop of whats already been mentioned you can do the whole b&m thing (personally dont like them) or muck around with something custom.
id like to see if a vt-vy shifter would work in a vs...afterall, its the same trans.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have a selection to suit my mood :) I have a woodgrain look knob - suits the wood grain of the calais, also a leather one - got a stock knob fitted up in leather at the same time as I got my console armrest done in leather. Nicer feel, the leather, but the woodgrain has a flahier look. I'm currently getting the same guy to redo my leather steering wheel - I think I favour the leather throughout. I guess I should post a coupla pics.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Yeah im thinkin Leather would be the go, I wouldnt mind taking down some measurements of the VY - YZ auto shifter is i like the look of it and it is square as well so it could work. i will investigate....

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
hotrod32 said:
Yeah im thinkin Leather would be the go, I wouldnt mind taking down some measurements of the VY - YZ auto shifter is i like the look of it and it is square as well so it could work. i will investigate....
if the main shaft is like the VT one then you just need the new leaver and a bit of adjustment to the bottom plate i think.

ask statement, he's got a vt shifter in his