Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very cranky and frustrated... What are your thoughts?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Maybe it's my own fault but I'm finding the V6 supercharged engine quite fidly to work on... Example: Changing the termostat. Why the hell put the thermostat at the back of the engine making you remove the throttle body and the supercharger intake just to get acess to it? The TB is easy but the intake was impossible. Still haven't got it done. Then today I wanted to change the spark plugs and leads. The three passenger side plugs are easy but the drives side ones were a nightmare! Stupid ABS gear was in the way. I ran out of time and never got plug 1 and 3 done and the leads are still in the box. What I loved about the standard Ecotec I had was the simplicity and the easy access to everything. Anyways, I'm just having a nightly rant :ranting:

Has anyone reading this got a car they'd like to nominate for the "Worst car for DIY repairs"? If so what car and what was the job?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
any excel head gasket. you have to unbolt brackets that support the inlet manifold and they are a pri*k to get to. also early mini fuel pumps they were underneath the inlet manifold, i had to replace a couple so i put electric pumps in them.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Mitsushity Colt , early 90's replaced a water hose at the back of the motor towards the firewall, had to remove inlet manifold and nearly ripped of the head to make it easier but got there after 2-3 hrs ...LOL , so i feel ya pain .... owning a VS L67 too changed leads OK but if i ever need to change thermostats you willing to do the work Scooter79 ??? :) LOL

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
VS CALAIS said:
but if i ever need to change thermostats you willing to do the work Scooter79 ??? :) LOL

Maybe if I figure out how to get the bloody supercharger intake off. I'm taking a guess that even a qualified mechanic hates doing the thermostat on an L67. I called a few places like Holden and Ultratune. Told them I have the thermostat and gasket just asked how much in labour to put it on and they all said upwards of $200 just in labour. :my:

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Scooter79 said:
Maybe if I figure out how to get the bloody supercharger intake off. I'm taking a guess that even a qualified mechanic hates doing the thermostat on an L67. I called a few places like Holden and Ultratune. Told them I have the thermostat and gasket just asked how much in labour to put it on and they all said upwards of $200 just in labour. :my:
Holy S#@t , $200 on labor only , for a $20 part.... man there must be an easier way..wtf? so if you ever took it in to holden for new coolant and thermo the invoice would look something like this.....
Coolant $50
Thermo $20
Labor $300+...LOL
what a bloody rip off!!!
any way good luck and make sure you use a new gasket :) nothing like putting it all together and finding out the gasket leaks!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
FWIW I'd give my left n*t for a supercharger.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
haha our mate a mechanic reckoned that it takes hours to change the spark plugs on old jaguar v12's...i went to look at a possible purchase...all u need is long nose pliers and a socket extension...dunno what our mate did...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
big_stretch said:
haha our mate a mechanic reckoned that it takes hours to change the spark plugs on old jaguar v12's...i went to look at a possible purchase...all u need is long nose pliers and a socket extension...dunno what our mate did...
I owned a 6 cylinder XJ Jaguar before the VS - before I bought the XJ6L I looked at some V12's but could only find 11 sparkplugs - the engine bay is ALL engine ...but what a motor!!! I know my Jag mates will kill me but my VS with BT1 specs leaves the Jag for dead in power and handling. Still something magic about a Jag though....or a supercharger.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Mate it's not hard if you have the right tools... I think someone posted before about the thermostat housing for a L67 VT...so I went and checked mine to see what all the fuss was about...my conclusion was that I could fit a 1/4 drive socket on one bolt and could fit a ringy on the other...there looked enough space to get the thermostat on and off without removing the intake elbow.

Ok the spark plugs are a bitch on the drivers side but if you have a short extensions, a uni extension, and decent ratchet (I use a kingcraft one with infinate angle turn) it's a piece of piss.

Worst thing to work on ? Anything Japanese with an east-west motor. They are the pits !!!

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Worst thing to work on ? Anything Japanese with an east-west motor. They are the pits !!!
Yep true dat true dat.....