Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Gauge

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Hey guys, just wondering if u guys are having the same poblem as me...

the only accurate responce i get from my fuel gauge is when it is full or empty, when it is inbetween i floats up and down and doesnt really give me a a good reading, and i never really know how much fuel i have. and when i turn my car on it always is a notch below the one it was previously on when i turned it off.
just wondering if this is a normal VR thing or do i need a new sensor

thanks guys
sean, :thumbsup:

Fatboy

Reaction score
Hmmm. Haven't had that problem (yet), but mine does stick occasionally on empty.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Sounds to me you have a common case of 'commodore fuel Gauge' All the commodores i've seen are the same, they move up and down depending on what level your car is. going up hills my gauge goes down, and goin down it goes up. going around left and bends it goes down and right handers get it to climb.

I just keep the tank full, it solves all my woes...

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
lol so nothing i can do about it? all commo's the same?

modernVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Acclaim
driven quite a few cars and all cars have this problem but gawd not as bad the commodores, also mine too does tend to stick on empty somethimes. maybe the fuel sender is getting old or something, i'll happy to volenteer what happens if a new one put in but won't anytime soon. i got better things to spend on then the fuel gauge, still maybe someone has replace the sender or something or has put in aftemarket fuel gauge and maybe even fixed the problem.

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
Yep i get the exact same prob, especialy on hills but also one more weird thing is that when i drive the car first thing in the morn, it seems lower than what it was the previous night, from what i think, its probly because the fuel expands when warm giving a higher reading than when it is cold, but i dont quite understand why the petrol would be warm in the first place.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
got the exact same problem. then next morning this guage is 1 bar lower than the previous night.

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
cacaman said:
but i dont quite understand why the petrol would be warm in the first place.
engine bays are quite hot in case you didnt know:yeah:
the movement of fuel from tank to fuel rail, and then from fuel rail to tank for unused fuel creates a fair bit of heat, i know a lot of people that converted from carby to efi, and had the return line hooked up to the surge tank, but the fuel was too hot and started causing problems with the pumps, so had to run it back to the tank where the larger amount of cooler fuel is enough to cool down the small amount of warmer fuel, if that makes any sense.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
ye mines lower than the nite b4 when i first start it, but during the drive it kinda creeps up (providing im on flat ground!!) but ive been told by multiple ppl about the "dodgy commodore fuel gauge" so i never let my tank "appear" to be lower than 1/4..