Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trip computer calibrating?

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
We've only had our V8 Stato for a few weeks so still learning how it all works (My partner drives it most of the time). We took it for a country run the other week (on LP gas) and used 38.4 Litres in 241.4KMs thats 15.9 L/100km
anyway the trip computer said we had only used 16.77 Litres for that distance at 6.9L/100km. My calculations say the computer is reading 43% of what is the truth. Anyone know how I might get this a little closer or is it just a 'GAS' thing that is never gonna work right?

I haven't got around to checking how close the Petrol side of things is yet, but I think that its out too as at 60 kph the computer says 4.5 L/100km :yeah: (thats like 60MPG) I'm SURE thats close, NOT!!!

Thanks for the great BBS
Tim

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Calibration Needed.

My guess is that someone has played around with the calibration.

The trip computer gets distance and fuel flow inputs.

The default calibration setting for both distance and fuel flow is 625. Calibration allows that to be changed about 20% both ways.

If you set the distance input to be 20% too far and the fuel flow to be 20% less, you end up with really good indicated fuel consumption.

However, the difference in fuel used varies greater than the adjustment range of the trip computer calibration.

My first step would be to set/reset the calibration numbers to 625, and then keep records for a number of tanks. Also refueling at the same pump in the same position can assist in accurate returns as the slope of the ground can make 5 or 6 litres difference in fuel added.

If the numbers are already set to 625, then you have a bigger problem and might need to change the trip computer.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Tim