Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

God almighty rattling noise

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
Hi,
So I`m driving to the movies with my g/f and everything is sweet and dandy, decided to stop at the bank to get some cash out. Turned the car off, got some cash, got back in and when I started the car, this loud rattling noise came from beneath my car. It got a bit softer as we started driving off, and then it stopped. I didnt think this was good. My mate had a look at it, and thinks it maybe the flex plate. The rattle was quite loud and embarrasing:embarrass . Is this a job for a transmission place or mechanics? Anyone else know if this is the cause? Any other Ideas what it maybe?

Cheers Ash

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
vn flex or drive plate

This has just happened to my VN!

Mine was a bit more gradual, had a soft rattle a week ago, mostly under light power. Then it got louder, happening at idle and light power - never under full load. The RAA guy said i need to get it towed, and probably the drive/flex plate.

I'm curious how much this might cost to get repaired...

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
travb81 said:
This has just happened to my VN!

Mine was a bit more gradual, had a soft rattle a week ago, mostly under light power. Then it got louder, happening at idle and light power - never under full load. The RAA guy said i need to get it towed, and probably the drive/flex plate.

I'm curious how much this might cost to get repaired...

Hey mate,
Like I said in my frist post, I thought it was the flex plate. It turned out to be my Harmonic Balancer. $150 for the Harmonic Balancer and $70, for the guy to put it on.

Cheers Ash

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
It sounds like problems with the Harmonic Balancer and the Drive/Flex plate can sound similar. How did your mechanic confirm it was the balancer? Did you see the balancer wobbling at all, or any sign of the rubber being deteriorated?

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
When I first heard the noise, I was leaving the movies, and the area didnt have any good lighting. My mate thought it may have been the flex plate, as he said, his sounded like that when his buggered up. I drove home and waited until the next day to have a proper look. When I lifted the bonnet, and had a closer look in the day time, I could see the HB was missing big chunks of rubber and not in good shape.

eh2o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
im having this problem, started with a very low rattle... gf took the car to work and then i got a call from her saying she just made it to work and there was chunks of belt every where..... i went out and replaced the tenesioner pully( the plastic 1 that was on it was also damaged from blowing the belt) and the belt, but still having the noise... the harmonic balancer was replaced 2yrs ago... i could not possibly need a new one already????? and what is the flex plate? where is it located......

**when the belt was off the HB was making a squeeking noise when moved**

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Flex plate is between the transmission and the engine, similar thing as a "fly-wheel" from what i know.

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
the flex plate is what holds the converter to the flywheel... and as travb81 said its between the engine and gearbox... it's possible it can crack and then cause the rattle... if that is what it is dont drive your car!! if it gives out completly you will deffinately now it, ur car wont move and you will hear one hell of a rattle! it may cause serious damage to...

sam__kent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
My VR v6 just started rattling like this too. Only happens at idle - goes away as soon as there's some right foot. The rubber around the harmonic balancer looks like it's in rough shape. Sounds awful. Is it a pretty good bet that the noise is coming from there? If so, how long have I got?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It will probably fail just when you are in the middle of the longest bridge in Adelaide in peak hour traffic. I stripped the camshaft timing gear on a FJ Holden back in '64 on Tom Uglys bridge in Sydney during peak hour traffic. The coppers helped me push it off and even helped with fixing it on the Sylvania side but they were different times.
I'd fix it before it fails!