Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burnt oil smell coming from air-con ducts!

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Hey

Okay, was doing the usuall fluid checks on my S1 VS Berlina and noticed that the power steering fluid was down, so i added some Dexron III and filled to the maxium (cold) mark, all other fluid levels were good so i closed the bonnet. In the days after i noticed that i was losing the power steering fluid, then came the smell of what i think is the power steering fluid dripping onto some part of the (hot) exhaust, and as i result i can smell this 'burnt oil' smell through my air-con ducts (the pair in the middle of the dash) when i have the air-con on. This smell only comes through when i'am stationary / idling at the lights etc. What and where could this be happening? Hoping to have a thorough look at it this weekend.
Thanks in advance :)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah VS... are good for channeling in any underbonnet smells through the vents... I have a slight rocker gasket leak that I haven't had time to fix yet thats making a bit of a smell cause it drips a bit of oil onto an exhaust header now and then.

You need to have a look around your powersteering gear... I suspect your pump may be leaking as I've heard it's common problem. It may also be a split hose somewhere.

The easiest thing to do when tracing a leak would be to look for fresh fluids on your driveway in the morning or where ever you leave your car parked before moving your car then lift the bonnet up and estimate where they line up. That will help you determine if the leaks are near the steering rack or the pump...