Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Steering noises

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Heya all, I noticed yesterday morning when I started the car and started driving there was a whining sound coming from the engine bay, at first I thought it was the cat, it sounded very close, it wasn't a constant whining, more like a timed whine, mainly when I was accelerating, could this be the fan belt? Also when the car is cold the power steering is loud (different sound) so I take it that the pump is on it's way out, I'm guessing that it will costly to repair\replace.

binkztarr

2DA-PUB
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
hey i just replaced a power steering pump in my vr,
it cost me about $160 for the pump and $40 to fit it,

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the whine is probably a noisey pulley thats on its way out...as for the power steering, unless your loosing fluid and/or the power steering seems hard or stiff to turn i wouldnt worry about it...its just a commodore thing that its a bit creaky when you first start it up, some people have said some lithium grease on the steering column helps.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
sircruisealotVS said:
the whine is probably a noisey pulley thats on its way out...as for the power steering, unless your loosing fluid and/or the power steering seems hard or stiff to turn i wouldnt worry about it...its just a commodore thing that its a bit creaky when you first start it up, some people have said some lithium grease on the steering column helps.

So it could be the bearings in the pulley hey? I wonder how much they cost to replace. As for the power steering fluid, I haven't lost any and my mate reckons my wheel is easier to turn then his VS (Exec). I do have to sus out column shaft lube trick.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
im getting a p/steer pump for 140 and fitting it myself :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The 'timed whine' could also be feedback from the alternator thru the radio though a pulley bearing is more likely ($20-30 ea )

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
hako said:
The 'timed whine' could also be feedback from the alternator thru the radio though a pulley bearing is more likely ($20-30 ea )

Nah I know it's nothing to do with the radio. Hrmm I need to get it checked out. With the VL I had more confidence working on that, but the VS, hrmm, dunno.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
should be fairly easy to track down the culprit...just check out the pulleys when the car is idleing and see if you can determine which one is making the noise...it may also have a bit of movment to it as well to look for.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
I have the same happening to my power steering its hard to turn and leaks not that much but it does leak and also makes noises. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost for a new P/s Pump for a statesman?

Cheers

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you should probably check out the p/s reservoir, return and high pressure hoses and clamps first (just to make sure its not something really basic)...then if they are all ok get a new seal kit for the pump, its about $100 or so fitted.
if you have access to a hoist at all get under the car and look for signs of where the p/s fluid is leaking from, it's usually very easy to see.