Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Ute Fuel Pump Trouble!!!

U

Utephoria

I recently replaced my Vs Ute fuel pump (Prick of a job) but now when the tank is under half and im turning a sharp corner e.g. round about the engine stalls. I thought i may have forgotten to put something back on but when i pulled it out again everything was where it was supposed to be. I’ve spoken to mechanics but they don’t know whats wrong either and want over $100 to look at it i thought maybe someone here might know what the problem could be...............?

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
You did say that you took the pump out and everything was there but was the return line connected on the tank side of the pump?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Is there a difference between sedan/wagon/ute fuelpumps? - maybe the ute one has a longer pickup pipe and they sold you the wrong one. I've seen previous similar fuel problems caused by what noah_73 said about the return line.....
Good luck.

chips58

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I have exactly the same problem. Only starves on hard right hand cornering. I thought maybe I hadn't got the pump back in to the bottom of the tank properly and tank surge to the left of the tank was starving the pump? Now that the tank is half full, still have the same problem.

been there

Reaction score
I had a similar if identical issue with my pump, the car was doing the same thing until the pump eventually died.
When I removed it, I noticed that there is a plastic canister in the tank (Slightly left of the entrance hole). The pump is supposed to live in it. My old pump was not sitting in the canister, but next to it. When I installed the new pump in the tank, I made sure it fel in the canister. (I had the tank out to do this). I think thats made all the difference, i now am able to turn any corner at any speed on the fuel light! I from memory rember that the pump needs to go into the tank at a certain angle and then be turned 90ish deg anticlock to make the canister. (this was a sedan, but I think its the same for a wag/ute).
Hope that helps..