Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear shifter loose?

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Sometimes, like once or twice a week, when I go to turn the key to start my car nothing happens, but if I give the gear shifter a small bump while still holding the key fully turned it then starts up. Same problem when the car is in neutral and I just push it forwards a bit and presto.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

..Rhys

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like your inhibitor switch is out of adjustment - to fix you need to adjust the selector linkage. To do this: put selector in park and crawl under vehicle, loosen trunnion lockbolt, push selector lever in the rear most position (park), tighten the lockbolt.
If you are a bit unsure on how to do this try doing a search for "inhibitor switch"
on this forum as its been covered many times before. Good Luck.

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Thanks :) but the only threads I'm able to find talk about replacing it not adjusting it..can you point me in the right direction?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I once crashed my old holden ute while bush bashing it around. Hit a stump and it through the selector linkage out. So it started in reverse. And because it was old, like a belmont i think it was, you had to really rev it while trying to start it. Then when it did go - look out behind. Did adjust it back to its proper spot eventually.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Basically it is in my first post - to locate the trunnion lockbolt, put the car on ramps or somehow safely get under the car, then get someone to sit in the car and move the gear selector backwards and forwards (engine OFF!) while you observe from underneath how the selector mechanism works. One particular piece of the mechanism will have a nut clamped to a slot....this is called the trunnion lockbolt and it is this which you loosen to perform the adjustment procedure. You loosen this trunnion lockbolt, place the gear selector in the PARK position, then under the car you move lever which comes out of the transmission fully rearwards (which is the PARK position). Then tighten the lockbolt. When you are finished, the gear selector will be in PARK and the lever on the transmission will also be in PARK. If you need any more help in the description of this job just yell out - maybe someone else can make my explanation more understandable. If you're really stretched I could email you a line drawing of the parts mentioned, or maybe check at your library for a workshop manual. Good Luck.